22oz. Bottles same fill lvl for carb? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 22oz. Bottles same fill lvl for carb?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
Ridge Runner
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Florence, KY
Posts: 333
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hey yall!! Just spent a couple hours washing 12oz. bottles . Probably going to move to 22oz.ers. I've been carbonating with 4-5 oz. corn sugar for a 5 gal. extract batch. Should i increase or decrease bottle headspace for 22's to get proper carb. Thanks RR.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
AGBrewer
 
AGBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 417
Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts


Your bottle filler should go down further into the bottle being that the bottle is taller and when extracted should leave that much more headspace, so don't change anything



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
Ridge Runner
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Florence, KY
Posts: 333
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewer25
Your bottle filler should go down further into the bottle being that the bottle is taller and when extracted should leave that much more headspace, so don't change anything
My filler is gravity fed tip & with my first batch I pushed the filler on the side of the bottle to top off. Cheap little gadget that came with my equip. kit. This will be my second batch bottling. If there is more airspace, wouldn't that risk excessive carbonation?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:46 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,393
Liked 783 Times on 434 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
...my first batch I pushed the filler on the side of the bottle to top off...
Did you really top-off the bottle? Or did you leave about 1 ince of head space.

Look at a commercial brew. That's what you want in your home brew as well...12Oz or 22Oz.

3/4 cup of priming sugar is fine for bottling, regardless of bottle size.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
Ridge Runner
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Florence, KY
Posts: 333
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Did you really top-off the bottle? Or did you leave about 1 ince of head space.

Look at a commercial brew. That's what you want in your home brew as well...12Oz or 22Oz.

3/4 cup of priming sugar is fine for bottling, regardless of bottle size.
Left an inch and had great carb. Thanks RR



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring from 22oz bottles -> 12oz bottles? weirdboy Bottling/Kegging 3 07-07-2009 06:57 PM
22oz bottles and the 'sediment' JoeMama Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 12-22-2008 07:41 PM
Champagne Foils on 22oz bottles? Plan9 Bottling/Kegging 1 07-24-2008 04:45 PM
Bottling with 22oz bottles Big10Seaner Bottling/Kegging 5 02-13-2008 01:46 AM
cleaning 22oz bottles cphair16 Bottling/Kegging 3 01-15-2007 04:50 PM


Forum Jump