Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > simple crush equipment? first timer

Old 06-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
gregkeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default simple crush equipment? first timer

So, I posted another thread about finding a large (40 foot long) neglected grape vine on my newly purchased property. So I've got no idea what I have on my hands, but no matter what, i'm going to have a go at making a batch of wine. I've got everything i need as i've made a few batches of skeeter pee, apfelwein, and some beer. The only thing i can see that I might need is something to actually crush the grapes in. I only have one vine, but like i said, it's 40 feet long, and covering a fence on the back side of my property. I have no idea whatsoever how much fruit i'll get out of it, but it seems by looking at various recipes that i'd need about 50-60 lbs to get a 5 gallon batch going. I really doubt i'll get that much fruit, but would hope i can get 3 gallons out of it.

What should I be using to crush these things in? I've got a 7 gallon primary fermentation bucket. Is that going to be big enough to hold everything? Doesn't seem like it will be, but i've never done an actual wine before. Would a big plastic basin/bucket that holds 10+ gallons be better? And is this container used just to crush, or also for primary fermentation? I think that once i've got it crushed i'll be good on the equipment front.

Thanks in advance, and i guess i've got a ton of time to figure it out, seems like grapes around here in NJ aren't ready to pick until fall.