Carboys/fermenters - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Carboys/fermenters

Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
sleepygo
Recipes 

Nov 2006

What do you guys prefer? Glass carboy, Better bottle, or the (food grade)plastic buckets? What are your reasons for your preference?

Old 02-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
bobbyc

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Clemson, SC

I like plastic buckets for primary, mostly because I have to carry them a ways, and the idea of dropping a glass carboy scares the crap out of me.

I use glass carboys for secondary due to the smaller headspace, and I only have to lift them full once.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
seyahmit

Recipes 

May 2006
O'Fallon, Missouri
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I prefer glass carboys, but I will use a bucket in a pinch. I carry my carboys in a plastic milk crate for safety.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyahmit
I prefer glass carboys, but I will use a bucket in a pinch. I carry my carboys in a plastic milk crate for safety.
Same here - Glass in a milk crate is a great option. I don't like buckets. I have one for wine and I think it's a PITA. I don't like the tops - they're kinda tough to get off and I always worry about the seal. Then, there is the whole scratching and bacteria thing.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Liked 183 Times on 53 Posts

I like to ferment in glass carboys (primary and secondary). I had a nasty infection in a plastic bucket once that was hard to shake. I just don't trust plastic anymore.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Kayos

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Santa Clarita, SoCal
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

1 vote better bottle. Lighter, easier to drain and don't break. I had a buddy who poured his hot wort into a glass carboy then tried to cool it by setting it in his pool. CRASH!!! Nasty pool water and beer and carboy in the trash. But then again, I don't hang out with the smartest guys....

Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
sleepygo
Recipes 

Nov 2006

Hehehe, not the smartest thing to do, but probably hilarious if you're in the right mood. Yeah, better bottles do sound like the best of both worlds. In fact I don't think I've ever really heard anything negative about them.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

I use plastic buckets as primary for wines and ciders where I make 6g batches. I then rack into 6g glass carboys. For beers, I use 6.5g glass carboys for primary, and 5g for secondary.

Why?
The plastic buckets are bigger than my biggest carboy, and I need them for the 6g batches.
But the glass lasts longer than plastic (I have serviceable carboys over 30 years old), so the glass works out cheaper than plastic; plus watching beer ferment is much better than watching Law and Order.

-a.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:54 AM   #9

I use all three.

Bucket as a primary,

Glass Carboy for 2ndary (ales) and a primary for Lt lagers (to blow off fusel resins)

I have four 3 Gal PET bottles. Not Better bottle, but the type you can buy for water fountains. $5 for 3 gal of good brewing water and a dual purpose fermenter. If it gets scratched, I toss it out. Available at Lowes & HD. I usually use them for experiementing or special oddball batches. They have a recycle triangle with a "1" in the center and say PET or PETE next to the symbol.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
1 vote better bottle. Lighter, easier to drain and don't break. I had a buddy who poured his hot wort into a glass carboy then tried to cool it by setting it in his pool. CRASH!!! Nasty pool water and beer and carboy in the trash. But then again, I don't hang out with the smartest guys....

Another vote for the better bottles. Mostly because they are so light. Oxyclean will take any nasty deposits out of them without any kind of scrubbing.