96 oz glass bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Markovics

Reaction score
Found this glass cider bottle a couple months ago at an organic food store. It's 96 oz and seems to work great, when taking a gallon batch with fruit in it, to rack to, to prevent excess headspace. It takes a 5 gallon carboy bung. And as a plus, the cider is tasty. If you are in Northern CA Orchard nutrition in Redding has it @ $7.50 a bottle.

Attachments

• cider.jpg
    cider.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 0
thats a score.

id be making a lot of hard cider with those . just open add yeast and a little nutrient maybe some tannin and bung it up and soon you have hard cider. better yet a few tablespoons of yeast cake from the last beer you brewed would prolly work well also. and you have demijohn for next fruit wine or cider.

thats a score.

id be making a lot of hard cider with those . just open add yeast and a little nutrient maybe some tannin and bung it up and soon you have hard cider. better yet a few tablespoons of yeast cake from the last beer you brewed would prolly work well also. and you have demijohn for next fruit wine or cider.
I've got three of them going right now, each with a different yeast, one with Safecider AS-2, lalvin d47 and redstar classique, I added pectic enzyme and fermaid o, just as a little experiment, lol. And I've got four more full bottles just sitting waiting for me to decide what to do with.

nice. the d47 and redstar make dry ciders imo. i ve had good luck with so5.

also the best luck i have had making flavored ciders is to ferment dry and back sweeten with flavored juice.

try black currant juice
and blackberry juice
and bilberry juice if you can find it.
i have also had decent luck with back sweetening with grenadine.

1700524353490.png
1700524421258.png

just make sure its 100 percent juice

cheers

96 fl. oz. is not a gallon. Or did you mean when making less than a gallon batch? I have some old glass gallon jugs from the 70's and 80's that take a lugged lid instead of a screw top lid. They also have a larger opening that is about the size of 5 gallon carboys.

The few things that come in 1 gallon glass jugs today do seem to always be more narrow openings and harder to pour without glugging air and splashing.

Back