Replacing insulation in the lid of keezer, how to attach? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Replacing insulation in the lid of keezer, how to attach?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
jasper9
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Boulder, CO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The freezer i got used had some moisture that found its way into the insulation due to a crack in the plastic. I want to replace it with the foam board stuff, but how to attach it? I'm thinking liquid nails but that would be a mess if i ever needed to replace it again.

Also, would it be worth it to use some sort of additional liner to protect from moisture? what material?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
jasper9
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Boulder, CO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

foamboard adhesive. brilliant! curious about adding a new moisture barrier though...

Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 68 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper9 View Post
The freezer i got used had some moisture that found its way into the insulation due to a crack in the plastic. I want to replace it with the foam board stuff, but how to attach it? I'm thinking liquid nails but that would be a mess if i ever needed to replace it again.

Also, would it be worth it to use some sort of additional liner to protect from moisture? what material?
I've had excellent results using 3M77 spray adhesive (Home Depot etc). The rigid foam insulation won't absorb moisture, so there's no need to face it with anything.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
jasper9
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Boulder, CO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

awesome thanks.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Hermit
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Alternate Universe
Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts

I'd be careful gluing something to the lid. The lid is flexible so that it will seal. If you make the lid rigid and it is out of shape it won't seal. Just something to be aware of.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
MMTG
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Southern CA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i installed the foam board in two equal places and then used the expanding foam to fill in the seams around the two pieces. I also replaced the crappy plastic liner with a sheet metal piece riveted in place to add weight to the keezer lid.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
jasper9
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Boulder, CO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTG
i installed the foam board in two equal places and then used the expanding foam to fill in the seams around the two pieces. I also replaced the crappy plastic liner with a sheet metal piece riveted in place to add weight to the keezer lid.
did you consider any other materials instead of the sheet metal? will big box stores cut that to exact dimensions?