Highly carbonated! 1st week in bottle. Trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hd4wes

Reaction score
My first extract batch has been bottled for 1 week. I didn't check gravity 3 days apart, but did check 2 days in a row without a change. Brew was in the primary for 4 weeks total. 64 to 66 degrees for the first 3, and a solid 68 the fourth week. Just popped my first homebrew top:rockin:, and it tastes completely carbed if not over carbed a bit for the first minute. Head rose .5", dwindled down to a thin layer, and is still releasing Co2 ten minutes later. But, the over carb taste did go away after the first minute.

I'm worried it's going to continue to carbonate and I'm going to have bottle bombs. Please tell I hit the nail on the head with my first brew, because it taste awesome. My fun meter is off the chart right now.

But, if I need to act on a over carb problem tell me what to do.

Thanks,
Wes

What was the FG? If it was under 1.016 or so, you're pretty safe.

It's not uncommon for early carbonation to seem to be over-carbed, but generally it's not. If you put one in the fridge overnight before opening, I bet it'll be seemingly less carbonated. That's because the co2 in the headspace will dissolve better into the cold beer than warmer beer.

How much priming sugar did you use?

What was your total batch size when you bottled? (gallons?)

How long did you refrigerator prior to opening that bottle?

How did you pour it?

There are quite a number of variables...

Since you were in the primary four weeks - you were likely at FG. But, if you added too much priming sugar, you may have a problem.

You could throw them all in the fridge or a cooler full of ice now if you are concerned about bottle bombs....

FG-1.01

5oz of corn sugar (what came in the kit, and was recommended for American cream ale)

5 gallon batch (bottled 42 12ozs, 4 15.something oz grolsh, 2 24oz fisher bottles)

Cooled in the freezer for maybe 20-30 minute. That's a complete guess.

Poured slow with glass an angle gradually turning it upright.

Once again thanks.
Wes

Cooled in the freezer for maybe 20-30 minute. That's a complete guess.

That's why. Wait about three weeks, and then chill some at least overnight. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference!

Now, I know you can't wait three more weeks to try another one, so when you sample, at least chill one overnight first!

you'll know it's over carbed when you pour a glass carefully and still get all foam. Or open it carefully and it still erupts.

If my "Irish Blunder" didn't explode as carbed as it was, you're probably fairly safe.

Young beer in a bottle often seems overcarbonated because the CO2 has not fully dissolved into the liquid. Therefore, it is more likely to be free and release from the liquid.....which makes it foam more and feel "brighter" (like Sprite) on the tounge. Give it a few weeks, and it will come together. Your measurements seem to be in line with a typically bottling.

Refrigeration will also improve dissolving the CO2.

Watch the video...you beer is behaving like a lot of new brewer's bottles do when they open them too soon.

Give it the full three weeks and then chill and it should be nicely balanced out. Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Young beer in a bottle often seems overcarbonated because the CO2 has not fully dissolved into the liquid. Therefore, it is more likely to be free and release from the liquid.....which makes it foam more and feel "brighter" (like Sprite) on the tounge. Give it a few weeks, and it will come together. Your measurements seem to be in line with a typically bottling.

Refrigeration will also improve dissolving the CO2.

It did feel like sprite on the tounge.

That's why. Wait about three weeks, and then chill some at least overnight. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference!

Now, I know you can't wait three more weeks to try another one, so when you sample, at least chill one overnight first!

You're right I can't wait, and won't. Thanks for the chill advice.

Watch the video...you beer is behaving like a lot of new brewer's bottles do when they open them too soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBlnTfZ2iw

Give it the full three weeks and then chill and it should be nicely balanced out. Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

I opened my brew early strictly as a scientific experiment:D Not to soon.

Ok, I have read over that thread. I'm not saying I remember all of it. I think I'm experiencing information overload with my new found hobby.

On the video, my beer isn't behaving like that. I did have bubbles rising up, and my head wasn't near that large. Maybe because I poured slower and at more of an angle, or because of the way I chilled it.

Thanks,
Wes

i over carbed my beer with too much priming sugar as well. (realized after the fact that i had added too much dextrose).
it's only day 2 and its way too over carbed already (opened one and it was gushy and insanely carbed). im afraid ill have bottle bombs but they are only 2 days in the bottle so it will probably only get more carbed from here right? how long should i wait for the yeast to eat more sugars before i degass them?

i over carbed my beer with too much priming sugar as well. (realized after the fact that i had added too much dextrose).
it's only day 2 and its way too over carbed already (opened one and it was gushy and insanely carbed). im afraid ill have bottle bombs but they are only 2 days in the bottle so it will probably only get more carbed from here right? how long should i wait for the yeast to eat more sugars before i degass them?

I've never checked a bottle on day 2 but sounds like your complete impatience paid off. How much sugar (or was it dextrose) to your beer did you use?

If they're gushing now you need to get them in a fridge. Did you open one warm? If so, stick one in the fridge for an entire day (24 hours) then open it. In the meantime put all in a covered bin and tuck them far away from foot traffic so no one is hurt if they do explode.

Latest posts

Back