Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Glass carboy or plastic bucket for primary?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Glass carboy or plastic bucket for primary?

I realized I have a few scratches in my plastic primary pail, so I'm gonna get a new primary, question is , is it better to just get a 6.5 gal carboy and use that for my primary?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
jackers252
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This has been covered a bunch lately. Definitely not an X or Y decision. I'd run a search and read the pros and cons of each.

For what it's worth, I primary only so a bucket would be my choice.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
CrapulencePants
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As stated, it has been covered ad nauseum. However, I'll give my two cents.

I had two buckets with spigots and after nine months of use the started failing. Spigots broke left and right, I actually dumped a batch because it was leaking (spraying) all over my garage. Had a few issues with infection, could have been the hoses too, but decided to replace the buckets as well. Finally settled on 6.5 gallon glass carboys and couldn't be happier.

I say stick with what works and what you know until you have a reason to change it.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
jackers252
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good points CrapiencePants. I alwasy keg so I've never used a bucket with a spigot. But it is a really good point for people without a keg setup.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
atgunning
Recipes 

I have used a bucket once, then immediately bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. As stated before, this has been beaten to death, but I use nothing but glass. I'm careful with it, and it even looks more impressive to non-brewing friends and relatives (if that's important to you).

Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I wouldn't ferment in a bucket with a spigot. If money wasn't an issue I don't know which I would go with. However money is an issue and I would rather have 3 complete bucket fermenters instead of one glass carboy. I brew one day and put the bucket in a closet for 3+ weeks and forget about it until I bottle.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 469 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 297

They each have their pros and cons. I like glass, as properly cared for, carboys pretty much last forever. If you can afford to pony up the cash, they're cheaper in the long run.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will vote for buckets. I do all my ales in buckets since they're cheap and easy to handle (they have a handle) and they're droppable. I also have two better bottles that I use for lagers, but that's because they seal better and I like the feeling of security I get from not having a lid.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
corax
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've used glass from the get-go. It is far more aesthetically pleasing than plastic. But as both the carboys and I age, I contemplate the bloody, worty aftermath of a catastrophic glass failure every time I lug a full one down the stairs. I'm seriously considering switching to buckets.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2855 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Or just choose whatever you want to, they all make beer.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew