New season honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadWitch

Reaction score
Picked up my new honey this morning and man is it awesome. I just had to take a taste! Darker than the last couple of years and and a bit tastier, IMHO. Judy, who runs Good Flow Honey says it is a great year for bee production, they are buzzing right on schedule and full force. I may have to go back and get several more gallons to last me thru until next year. At $28 a gallon for central Texas "wildflower", what a steal.:ban:

The honey run in NC is in full force too...just picked up my annual 5 gallon bucket!

I have to say to the OP...damn yes it's a steal...I can get honey for $10 a quart, but 7 bucks a quart is excellent!

Glad I get mine by the bucket from an apiary.

My LHBS sells a gallon of fruit varietals are like $54/gal.

I have been all over the net looking for a apiary from central Tejas who will sell straight to me, but am having no luck at all. We have two full time honey distributors within a 30 mile radius, so I am thinking they are getting all of the business except for the local farmer's markets. I would gladly pay more for some huajillo honey that comes from the Uvalde area of Texas. Anybody out there got any connections?

I have been all over the net looking for a apiary from central Tejas who will sell straight to me, but am having no luck at all. We have two full time honey distributors within a 30 mile radius, so I am thinking they are getting all of the business except for the local farmer's markets. I would gladly pay more for some huajillo honey that comes from the Uvalde area of Texas. Anybody out there got any connections?

Walker Honey in Rogers, TX (close to Temple, which isn't too far from Austin) has Huajillo. A bit spendy at $42.00 a gallon, but at least they have it and they're pretty close to you.

How do you store the honey when you buy it in bulk? I had an offer from some local beekeepers but decided to wait since its too hot here now to ferment mead. But if I can store it until September I might go ahead and try to find more. Also when is it too late to get honey from beekeepers?

I just let mine sit in a bucket in the kitchen. Honey doesn't go bad much. Too much sugar content for bugs to do any real work.

It may crystallize, but that is taken care of with warming it up just a little.

How do you store the honey when you buy it in bulk? I had an offer from some local beekeepers but decided to wait since its too hot here now to ferment mead. But if I can store it until September I might go ahead and try to find more. Also when is it too late to get honey from beekeepers?

As stated above, just store it in your kitchen. My experience with honey has been get it while you can, otherwise it will probably be gone the next time you go back to get it.

GTG

Walker Honey in Rogers, TX (close to Temple, which isn't too far from Austin) has Huajillo. A bit spendy at $42.00 a gallon, but at least they have it and they're pretty close to you.

Chef, thank for your input but I had already checked their site and they are out of everything but pints at 10.50. At 84.00 for a gallons' worth, I have to pass on it. If they had 1 gallon jugs for the 42.00, I'd drive up on Saturday.

But thanks for looking for me!

Jezter6, I have used that site to try and get what I need but either they are not selling or the drive is a bit to far. A couple hours drive isn't bad but after that, it is a bit of a long stretch.

Jfulton, it is never too late to get honey from a beekeeper. The problem is if they have any left by the time you decide you want it. :D
have you contacted people from your area on honeylocator?

Back