Help with Dry Hop method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I've read through several threads on dry hopping and I think I am going to go the route of a tea ball in my keg.

Few questions:

1) Should I worry about contamination? I have 3 different hop pellets all in their original foil rapper, but they have been opened. I used part in the boil, then what I didn't use I tried to seel air tight and then wrapped them in foil.

2) If I only wanted to dry hop a week or so, could I re-open the keg to fish out the tea ball or would that be to risky considering contamination and aeration factors?

1) Hops won't infect the beer. They are a natural preservative, the original intent of dry hopping was to keep the beers from souring IIRC.

2) Why not just dry hop the last week before you bottle/keg? If you let it sit longer you will lose some of the added aroma.

2) Why not just dry hop the last week before you bottle/keg? If you let it sit longer you will lose some of the added aroma.

My plan was to actually beggin drinking during the dry hopping face if I dry hop in the keg. Also, I was planning on this route just b/c it seemed easier and less likely to get me a beer with excess hop particles in the brew.

Brings me to one more question. This is an IPA OG of 1.058 how many weeks from pitch till I should begin to drink? I was planning on 3 week primary, 1 week carb in keg, then have at it....Thoughts?

I do 2 weeks primary with the last 5 days of that on dry hops. I bottle so I put it in bottles and let it condition for a couple weeks then chill down and keep as cold as possible.

Back