Way over carbonated Heff ... how can I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I cracked my first two kegged beers tonight and both are over carbonated. I am having a party tomorrow night and I was hoping to serve these two brews to my guests. The oatmeal stout is just slightly over carbonated and is quite drinkable. But the Heff is nothing but foam. I was shaking the keg and then relieving the pressure to remove the carbonation. After doing that for a while closed off the CO2 to it and decided to come in here and ask advice before I went any farther. So ... can this beer be salvaged for my party tomorrow night? HELP!!!!!

here is the info on my system and techniques:

2 weeks 30 psi @ 70 degrees, then 2 weeks 15 psi @ 52 degrees. I am now serving it at 10 psi @ 40 degrees. I have 5 1/2 feet of 3/16" beer line.

I can get co2 down pretty quickly by just releasing the co2 and lowering the PSI on the main... disconnect it, and open the release valve til you get it down to next to nothing, then repressurize... it balances out pretty quickly... from what Iv'e done anyway. For my hefe I had it about 7-8 psi and it was perfect... near 10 for others... depends a bit.

UPDATE: After shaking and purging I dropped the psi to 10 last night. This morning all that is coming out is about 90% air with 10% foam. Although the keg is completely full it is acting like it is almost empty. When I close the faucet you can see that the beer line is full of air. Could there be a problem with my dip tube?

UPDATE: After shaking and purging I dropped the psi to 10 last night. This morning all that is coming out is about 90% air with 10% foam. Although the keg is completely full it is acting like it is almost empty. When I close the faucet you can see that the beer line is full of air. Could there be a problem with my dip tube?

Are you SURE you have it on the liquid post?

:confused:

Are you SURE you have it on the liquid post?

:confused:

I am pretty sure. I will double check when I get home. That explanation would make a ton of sense though. Of course that would mean I am possibly the dumbest brewer in the history of beer. :drunk:

I just checked and I have everything assembled correctly. I am now going to switch out my dip tube and gas connector.

Did you freeze your beer? I accidently did that once and all I got was a little head and air when I opened the tap.

Fixed!!! I think that the problem was that the dip tube was missing the O-ring. I did switch dip tubes, making sure that there was an O-ring, and I am now getting an awesome pour! I have no idea why an O-ring would make such a difference, but I am one happy camper now. :D

Sweet! Your faucet was dispensing headspace gas instead of sucking the beer up from the bottom.

Latest posts

Back