GRABASS Brew Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The keggle has been fixed, my gear has been cleaned, and my starter's yeast cake is about 1" thick.

I'm thinking about going ahead and brewing right now. :D

I'm really looking forward to it. Randall & I will see y'all in a couple of hours.

4050-randall.bmp

"Here comes Randall, he's a berserker..."

Oh my god, am I drunk. I don't even know what day it is right now.

If I can figure out the camera, I'll post pictures.

-walker

hopefully no one gets pulled over this time. Post those pics!!!!

todd_k said:
hopefully no one gets pulled over this time. Post those pics!!!!

all consumers had a driver this time. (Luckily Jeff's oldest daughter just turned 16!)

Pictures: I'm looking for a USB cable that fits richard's camera.

-walker

ok... I'm having trouble. I can't figure out how to get to the pictures on Richard's camera. I've even tried taking the memory card out and putting it into my little memory card reader, and I *still* can't get to them.

-walker

Walker-san said:
ok... I'm having trouble. I can't figure out how to get to the pictures on Richard's camera. I've even tried taking the memory card out and putting it into my little memory card reader, and I *still* can't get to them.

-walker

sounds like an ID ten T error to me! :D

Walker-san said:

-walker

Maybe flip it over? :D

I'll upload 'em Monday and post some pics. Hey, we had a great time today!

I think I left the following stuff behind: camera (doh!), burner, hydrometer jar, and a blue t-shirt.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Okay, that's taken care of. I would have completely forgotten until tomorrow when my wort would have been about 40F!

And Richard, you have got to post the recipe for those jalapeno thingamajiggies.

Here ya go!

http://www.nosnhojr.com/private/Richard/cooking/abt.htm

And here's a photo from the first time I made these:

http://www.nosnhojr.com/private/Richard/cooking/2003-10-brisket/PA120024.JPG

They're even better when smoked over apple wood. Mmmm, pork!

Richard, you magnificent bastard! Those look awesome! I'll have to make them when I actually own a grill. :mug:

todd_k said:
Richard, you magnificent bastard! Those look awesome! I'll have to make them when I actually own a grill. :mug:

Hey, thanks! When you try 'em, be patient and let it cook over indirect heat until the bacon is done. Every time I make these, I extend the cook time. I think they were on over an hour today, indirect @ 300F.

nosnhojr said:
Hey, thanks! When you try 'em, be patient and let it cook over indirect heat until the bacon is done. Every time I make these, I extend the cook time. I think they were on over an hour today, indirect @ 300F.

ok, what do you mean by indirect heat? I'm used to the box-type grill that you see at public parks. I'll be getting a Char-Broil grill with 4 burners in a few weeks (late birthday present).

That was a fantastic day of brewing, drinking & eating. Another A+ GRABASS event. A great big THANK YOU to Mr. & Mrs. W for being great hosts.

todd_k said:
ok, what do you mean by indirect heat? I'm used to the box-type grill that you see at public parks. I'll be getting a Char-Broil grill with 4 burners in a few weeks (late birthday present).

Indirect just means that the food is not directly over the heat source, and so it cooks from heat reflected by the lid and by the ambient temperature in the grill. With a propane grill, you can usually turn on one burner, then place the food over burners that are off. With charcoal, you can pile the charcoal to one side of the fire grate.

You can cook ABTs over direct heat, but you may have to turn them to get the bacon crisp on all sides. The best way to cook them though is in a smoker, where the heat is indirect and you get additional flavor from the smoke. Plus, it takes longer, which give you more time to drink homebrew. ;)

nosnhojr said:
I think I left the following stuff behind: camera (doh!), burner, hydrometer jar, and a blue t-shirt.

I've got the camera and t-shirt. The hydrometer test jar is probably here, too, I just haven't specifically looked for it yet. (Which reminds me... no one got a pic pf me using the hydro yesterday. :D)

I also have a big bag of Billy's hops.

-walker

Looks like a great time - MAN, I can't wait for us Northern boys to have our little get-together next month. Be nice to finally be able to brew with people who know what they're doing (unlike me!)

Walker-san said:
Tard boy got everything figured out last night, but I literally fell asleep while uploading the pictures to my webserver.

http://www.digitalninja.org/beer/brew_orgy/

Wow, looks like a great time boys!

The bacon wrapped jalapeno things--YES, please share recipe. :D

Billy, beautiful little one there!

Walker, so how did the inagural go? Didja hit your mash temp? :p

Dude said:
Walker, so how did the inagural go? Didja hit your mash temp? :p

My efficiency was low. I haven't calculated yet, but I was few points shy and and halg gallon shy.

Mash temp? Yeah, I eventually hit it... right about the time Billy was finishing his sparge. :D

Nice pics!

my personal favorite is the down towards the bottom, looks like BB had a few too many. :D

I have a few additional items in my lost-and found box.

1 long plasrtic mash paddle (ths is Richard's)
1 long plastic spoon with gallon markings on it.
1 metal measuring spoon (tablespoon).

I also realized something while cleaning a few things up. I never put my gypsum OR irish moss in yesterday. :D

I guess I drank too many beers.

I still have a sh!tload of leaf hops in the freezer from our bulk purchase last spring. Time to use 'em or lose 'em. Let me know what you need.

CASCADE
COLUMBUS
CHINOOK

Yep, that's me and Olivia. She was a little freaked out from all the hullabaloo, but I'm glad everybody got to meet her.

Richard, I thought it was a little old when you left without a shirt on, but I wasn't going to be the one to say anything.

:D

Walker-san said:
I have a few additional items in my lost-and found box.

1 long plasrtic mash paddle (ths is Richard's)
1 long plastic spoon with gallon markings on it.
1 metal measuring spoon (tablespoon).

I also realized something while cleaning a few things up. I never put my gypsum OR irish moss in yesterday. :D

I guess I drank too many beers.
The hops (you've already noted) and tablespoon are mine. I'm really only interested in the hops.

I forgot to toss in a whirl-floc tablet, too. But I've forgotten on my last three brews...having the kegerator renders it somewhat unnecessary.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Yep, that's me and Olivia. She was a little freaked out from all the hullabaloo, but I'm glad everybody got to meet her.

Richard, I thought it was a little old when you left without a shirt on, but I wasn't going to be the one to say anything.

:D

It was you who told me I didn't need to worry about the sun until I was full of alcohol... or something like that. :drunk:

Baron von BeeGee said:
I forgot to toss in a whirl-floc tablet, too. But I've forgotten on my last three brews...having the kegerator renders it somewhat unnecessary.

I just realized I forgot to to toss my moss in the sauce. No big loss.

That's too bad.

I found out that the brew pub I've needed to hit in Amherst has a Randall. Another excuse to find a sitter and head over the mountain for an evening.

I missed most of the randall drama (at least the non-human kind) since I had to make a hops run (always make a list when doing a remote brew), but I will say the few sips I did have were very hoppy and very nice.

When Dude has us up to VA for a group brew I think we're gonna need to rent a U-Haul. You don't realize how much homebrew crap you have until you have to transport it.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
The Randall needs some tweaking. Big time tweaking.

What happened?

The thing I've seen with the Randalls is the extreme foam, but that is inevitable. What was your malfunction?

Walker--here's a hint--strike temp for your mash water should be 11-12 degrees higher than your target mash temp. SwAMi and I use the same exact coolers and we hit pretty much right on every time now.

For efficiency, check your crush. With that mash pad and false bottom, you should be close to 80% even with a batch sparge. Try stopping the flow halfway through the batch sparge, stir, and recirculate again. Your efficiency will rise 5 points.

Dude said:
What happened?

The thing I've seen with the Randalls is the extreme foam, but that is inevitable. What was your malfunction?

1. All foam, no beer
2. Hops backflowed to keg
3. Should have used fresher and /or different hops (I thought the Cascades were "grassy")

Back