Bellsouth DSL Rant - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Bellsouth DSL Rant

Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

We need a "rant" forum...

[RANT]

I've got Bellsouth DSL at home. I specifically paid for a package that included a static IP address, because I run a server on my DSL.

After several day sof banging my head on the wall trying to get all of my services running on the server, I started to doubt my seasoned skills because, no matter what I did, I could not get my SMTP (email) services working. Local mail on the server was fine, but nothing from the outside was getting in, and nothing on the inside was getting out.

I tried several versions of linux, attempting to use both sendmail and postfix with every distro installed. No luck.

After some snooping around, I finally learned that Bellsouth blocks port 25 for residential customers, which is the port necessary for running an SMTP server.

ARGH!

So, I browse around on their website and actually went through the trouble of reading the fine print on my service contract. NO WHERE does it say that I was agreeing to have port 25 blocked on my line.

In fact, I came across a very interesting bit of text in the FAQ about static IP adresses (static IPs carry an additional charge that I did agree to pay for). This is a direct quote from their website:

Quote:
Why would I use a Static IP?
Customers request a Static IP for a variety of reasons. There are several types of services that require an IP that doesn't change. Most commonly customers will want to use their Static IP for: Hosting a Website or Mail Server, Webcams, VOIP ,Video Conferencing and Gaming.
So... it seems pretty clear to me that I paid for a static IP address, yet I am not able to use it as advertised.

So, armed with the information and links to be able to say, "F**k you... you need to open up port 25 for me," I finally picked up the phone and called them.

I was informed that port 25 is only open for Business customers but not for Residential customers.

So... I started lobbing my grenades at them and pointing them to all of the information that indicated that I never agreed to have the port blocked, and I'm only attempting to use the DSL service in a way that they claim to allow in their FAQ.

They offered to upgrade me to Business class. I said that this would be fine, but that I refused to pay any additional charges.

They said that they could do this with their Business DSL "Lite" package. Same price as my current DSL service, and port 25 works.

UNACCEPTABLE

The "lite" service runs at a fraction of the speed of my current service. So I made myself clear that I wanted the same speed at the same price and port 25 open. They said that they could not do this.

Having had enough of this crap (I had been transferred around about 15 times on the phone at this point) I told them to please connect me with someone who could cancel my service and issue me a refund for the months already paid for.

After a couple minutes on hold, I was speaking with a customer service agent who in no way seemed interested in helping me cancel my service and get a refund, but instead seemed very willing to try and get things resolved for me and get port 25 open.

I'm waiting on them to call me back now, but at the end of today I will either have my fast DSL with no blocked ports, or I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

[/RANT]

Old 10-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Gotta love it. I had a problem with Comcast a few months ago. I live in an apartment and I am one of the end units. The Comcast box for the whole building on the outside is attached to one of my walls. One day I came home from a weekend trip and we didn't have any cable tv or internet service. SWMBO took the dog out for a walk and saw that the outside box was on the ground and all the wires were cut. I called Comcast and reported this, it took them a week to come out and they said no one else in the building had reported any problems. They finally came out during the day so I took time off from work to meet the cable guy but he never showed. I called Comcast to ask what happened and they said he was there and fixed our neighbor's cable service. When I told them my service was still out they said it would be another week until they would be back out, and that was a holiday. I yelled and screamed until I got someone to come out 2 days later to finally fix my service. I almost went to Cavalier DSL but it would have been too slow. Thankfully, I haven't had any major problems since then.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Ask Verizon what unlimited means:

http://techdirt.com/articles/20061024/175942.shtml
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Walker

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC

Yeah, I can see them trying to side-step the issue. If you read that quote I put in there from theit static IP FAQ but pay attention to different words:

Quote:
Why would I use a Static IP?
Customers request a Static IP for a variety of reasons. There are several types of services that require an IP that doesn't change. Most commonly customers will want to use their Static IP for: Hosting a Website or Mail Server, Webcams, VOIP ,Video Conferencing and Gaming.
It just says that I would WANT to use it for this, not that I actually can

I'm still waiting for my callback, btw...

Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Walker

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
I'm still waiting for my callback, btw...
and the phone just rang....

Old 10-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Walker

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC

and I'm on hold again...

Old 10-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Be happy you have alternatives. I'm on hughesnet satellite DSL and have been having outages for the last two months. Tuesday is my SIXTH appointment to have a tech come out & look at it. There is no other service in the area (no cable, phone lines that barely do voice, etc.) Hughes knows I'm stuck & they just keep collecting their $60/month. There is NO support resolution number, just the regular one that goes to India and the step-by-step-by-step-by-step-... proceedures that are useless.

My company's server is in LA, so the BS doesn't impact anything that is online, but it really cripples development.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Walker

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC

I've got them bent over now. They were willing to move me to bussiness DSL and reduce the monthy fee so that I was only paying $13 more per month and I was going to get port 25.

My response was, "You apparently have the ability to charge whatever you want for the service. So, If you can reduce the charge on the business DSL by $40, then please reduce it another $13 so that I am not paying any extra per month."

I uttered the words "false advertising" and they decided to put me on hold and try to work something out with the billing department.

-walker

Old 10-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Throw in Better Business Bureau and FTC, that should help grease the wheels.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Walker

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_k
Throw in Better Business Bureau and FTC, that should help grease the wheels.
Man... nobody respects the BBB anymore.

I've got them talked down to matching my residential rate now. Their catch was that I have to sign a contract stating that I agree to keep a phone line (phone... not DSL) with them for 3 years.

No problem.... I'm not going anywhere.

I WIN!
I WIN!