Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bock Help

Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
nothreat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bock Help

My sons best friend is getting married in January and they asked me me to brew his favorite beer for the wedding - a bock. I have never brewed an AG bock before and did some searching on the Internet for a recipe. I found a simple recipe and tweaked it a bit. Does this sound like a decent bock? I am fermenting it with US05 and will "lager" it in my fridge for 2 months in the keg.

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Grain Bill
85% 11 12 Munich Malt - 10L
7% 1 0 Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
7% 1 0 Crystal 120L
1% 0 2 Chocolate Malt

OG
FG
Color
24 SRM
(Brown to Dark Brown)

Mash Efficiency
67%

hops
60 mins 1.0 Tradition pellet 5.3
15 mins 1.0 Saaz pellet 3.3
15 mins 1.0 Hallertauer pellet 3.0

Bitterness
5.3 HBU
20.3 IBU

Yeast
American Ale - US05 (Should I use 2 - 11.5 gram packets?)

Alcohol
6.4% A.B.V.

Thanks for your help.

On Deck: Amarillo Wheat, Summit Rye, Basic Pale with Zythos hops, Chocolate PB Porter II
Kegged: Delta pale, Chinook Pale
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate PB Porter, American Stout, Honey Walnut Porter

Old 08-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 79

It looks like a good ale. Might be a little bit much Crystal 120L. I'd cut it with some Caramunich II, 8 oz of each. You don't need the chocolate malt or the late hops. I'd just use 1/2 oz of Hallertauer at 30 min to get the IBUs in the low 20's.

Don't take too much of what I say--I've haven't made a bock yet. It all comes from looking at recipes and the BJCP guidelines.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
winstonofbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Last bock i made, I used tradition for 60min and 10min boil.
Came out really well.
I agreee with conroe, cut out the crystal 120. If you are stuck on it, go down to crystal 10 or 15. For the chocolate malt. I use a little bit, Mostly for color but it gives it a little bit of flavor.

Havent tried it yet, But i was thinking about adding a 1lb of wheat to my next shot to get a better mouthfeel and keep the foam going on the beer

Hope this helps a little bit...
If you have beersmith, Play around with it a bit.
Just remember, No matter what. It wants to be beer.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

True bocks only use Hallertauer hops, and are lagers. If you have the ability to lager it, why are you using ale yeast? I mean, it's for the guy's wedding; you should get it as close to style as you can. What you have is closer to a nut brown than a bock.
And if you really want to make it a good one, decoct it.

Here is my bock recipe from the HBT database. I make it every year, have shared it with several HBT members with great reviews, and it has been brewed by several HBT members, also with excellent reviews.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
nothreat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bock Help

The original recipe I found said the the ale yeast would result in a good beer without the lagering. But you have my interested piqued. I planned on lagering by putting it in a keg and leaving it in my fridge (42 degrees) for two months. Should I put a blanket of CO2 on it or leave it alone? Also, I read up on decoction mashing. It seems easy enough, but what does it do to the beer? What difference would I be able to detect? I mostly brew pale ales and porters so this is new ground for me.
On Deck: Amarillo Wheat, Summit Rye, Basic Pale with Zythos hops, Chocolate PB Porter II
Kegged: Delta pale, Chinook Pale
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate PB Porter, American Stout, Honey Walnut Porter

Old 08-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I'm not going to pretend to know the science behind it; I'm not that smart. But I can tell you from personal experience that even just doing a simple decoction will improve your bock, or any German lager, a great deal.

As far as using lager yeast, the first thing you are going to need is some kind of temperature control for fermentation. You need to ferment between 45*-55* F. You are either going to need a temp controller for your kegging fridge, or you need to devise some other way of controlling temps. Then when fermentation is done, (usually 4-6 weeks) you can lager in the keg in your fridge at regular temps (35*-40*) for a couple months.

Be sure to taste your hydrometer samples, because if you taste any buttery flavor, you need to do a diacetyl rest before lagering to clean that up.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett