Glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSar

Reaction score
I know how important glassware is to specific styles of beer but I am ashamed to admit that the only glasses in my cabinet are pint glasses. What kind of glasses should every beer lover have in their cabinet or home bar?

I have regular pint glasses, a couple 20oz english pub glasses, and a couple pilsner glasses. I personally don't worry much about what type of glass I'm drinking from...

clean ones...LOL.... its not the glass but what you put in it.. I have some mugs,pint glasses. but its all the same,good beer is good beer,even served out of a plastic cup.

At least one beautiful curvey weiss glass is a requirement for any beer drinker. It just a simple sexy piece of glass that makes anything put into it look good.

I personally don't worry much about what type of glass I'm drinking from...

I have just about everything but a horn or a thistle.

And they all collect dust in that fancy glass cabinet the wife has for china because I inevitably always grab my $1.00 tulip shaped iced tea glasses I got from Dollar Tree.

Perfect shape, 16 Ounces, heavy stem, and $1.00 if it breaks.

My favorite glass is the Willi-Becher style glass. They are big enough to hold a full pint/0.5L with a head on it. They are light, present the beer well, and they taper near the top, concentrating aroma. I have a set of 4 from Gordon Beirsch, and a couple from Northern Brewer.

NB 20 oz Pub Glass - Glassware and Barware - Miscellany

glass.jpg

this is my favorite glass in the world:
http://www.crackedkettle.com/store/images/Duvel_Glass.jpg

I have pints that I'll drink from, but I like tulip glasses, I like goblets for certain beer (especially if I am sharing an expensive Belgian or sour bottle), and I like .5 liter glasses the most for drinking anything that doesn't go in the tulip glass. I don't like the tall fluted things.

One of the best pubs in Arizona (Papago Brewing) uses these for serving Belgian Ales. Mrs. Gnome sweet-talked one of the bartenders into selling her one and after some searching, I figured out that it is the Libbey Poco Grande. UPS just delivered a box of four of them from Bed Bath & Beyond. I swear every beer tastes better served in one of these.

Libbey Poco Grande.JPG

I love beer glasses and love the way the shape of a glass can affect the aroma/taste of a beer. At the end of the day, though, my favorite is a basic imperial pint glass.

I've got a some pilsners, one of those German cylindrical styled ones, some Leffe chalices, some stumpy conical Hoegaarden ones and a few stemmed tulips. The only difference I tend to notice is the aroma from the tulips (and to a smaller degree the goblets). Taste really doesn't seem to be effected.

3219571274_4df5670952_o.jpg

This pewter mug is my favorite drinking 'glass'. I don't like my beers ice cold and this mug makes life easy when it comes to bringing the beer to my desired temperature...

I mostly have logo pints; I've started a collection of buying one from every brewpub I go to on vacations (though I didn't get one from Cambridge Brewing Co when I was in Boston; gonna need to have my friend ship me one or something). I also have two 'perfect pints,' two Duvel glasses, a Chimay (doesn't it do nothing for the aromas? It's just there), a siedel from Cheers, a Grolsch I got from the library garage sale for a quarter, etc. My favorite glasses right now are the nonic Half Acre glass they let me keep when I visited them in Chicago (16 oz though :() and the .3L Southern Tier tulip I got for free with a four pack (of Sam Adams, interestingly).

One of the best pubs in Arizona (Papago Brewing) uses these for serving Belgian Ales. Mrs. Gnome sweet-talked one of the bartenders into selling her one and after some searching, I figured out that it is the Libbey Poco Grande. UPS just delivered a box of four of them from Bed Bath & Beyond. I swear every beer tastes better served in one of these.

View attachment 12586

Everyone should have a tulip glass just like that for beer.

The big glass is nice for novelty but, you find it rarely (if ever) gets used. Kinda like the yard glasses.

Yes it is novelty but I actually use my yard glass. Sure the beer gets a little warm by the end but I tell you what, all you need is one beer! Lol

Back