Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread - Page 1434 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #14331
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Norton, MA
Liked 833 Times on 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
And meanwhile the Cards are going after Reggie Bush and Carson Palmer. And not as backups.
Thats good right!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #14332
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 115 Times on 101 Posts

Larry Fitzgerald. Not sure if I understand why he still wants to remain there. The $ or the weather. Such a waste....

Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #14333
Darwin18

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Garner, NC
Liked 952 Times on 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
Wow. That is a huge pile of dumb.

I always love the, "that's Belichick being arrogant! I know better than he does and he is making the wrong move out of arrogance!" I can't help but laugh at the irony.

The guy has been awesome... But the Pats have a system within which they will only pay certain amounts for certain positions and if Welker is gonna be too expensive, he won't be here. I'm not concerned.
Belichick has a track record with the Pats of trading away or letting skilled players go with the assumption that he can just replace them. You can't seriously tell me that letting Asante Samuel walk didn't set the Pats secondary back (they're still trying to overcome this) or trading Richard Seymour didn't set the Pats pass rush back until just recently.

Since coming to the Pats in 2007, Welker has had 100+ receptions and 1,000+ yard seasons every year except 2010. The man has been clearly the #1 receiver for the Pats every year he has been with the team. You cannot just find someone off the street to replace that. I know Pats fans think Welker is replaceable, but the idea that Danny Amendola could be signed for a $1-2 million less in yearly salary and put up those number is laughable.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #14334
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

May 2008
Norton, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
Belichick has a track record with the Pats of trading away or letting skilled players go with the assumption that he can just replace them. You can't seriously tell me that letting Asante Samuel walk didn't set the Pats secondary back (they're still trying to overcome this) or trading Richard Seymour didn't set the Pats pass rush back until just recently.

Since coming to the Pats in 2007, Welker has had 100+ receptions and 1,000+ yard seasons every year except 2010. The man has been clearly the #1 receiver for the Pats every year he has been with the team. You cannot just find someone off the street to replace that. I know Pats fans think Welker is replaceable, but the idea that Danny Amendola could be signed for a $1-2 million less in yearly salary and put up those number is laughable.
Actually... Belichick has a "track record" of being one of the most successful head coaches in the history of the game and you sitting there pretending that you know better than he does when it comes to the players he watches all day every day and how they fit into HIS system... is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.

And yes, you're dead on... GOD, it's been brutal since they let Samuel and Seymore go... take '08 out because 1) Brady was out and 2) Seymour was still on the team but then it was four straight Division titles, 2 AFC Championship games and a Super Bowl appearance.

DAMN THAT BELICHICK!!! Driving this team right into the ground by letting Richard Seymour go!! SONOFA!!!!

Looking back and saying, "Oh Belichick (or ANY coach) is stupid because he didn't sign X,Y,Z!" is the epitome of stupid since you have ZERO clue what the contract details were and what the ramifications of those contracts would have been for the rest of the team.

for Seymour... he was going to be paid as one of the top D-linemen in the entire league (as he should of)... and quick trivia question for you... who was he playing right next to?? Before you look it up... it was Vince Wilfork. So which one should stupid Belichick have kept? Or do you think he should have maxed out two D-linemen contracts and then not have anything to spread around to other positions??

I dunno... I think Vince Wilfork is pretty decent.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #14335
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

May 2008
Norton, MA

Quote:
whoopidity fcking doo... Welker has been awesome. ZERO debate there but he HAS been awesome. What is he going to do for the next two-three years? He is a slot receiver on a team that now has two of the best tight ends in the league.... who all play in the slot. The reason Welker's numbers are so high in catches and yards is that the Pats have absolutely NO ONE on the outside and haven't since Moss. If the Pats can get even one serious threat on the outside (and Lloyd's not that guy), then Welker's numbers are going to take a beating.

So... what should the Pats do? Pay a guy who has been awesome, totally admit that, to play a position they are "overstocked" on right now when they have such huge needs somewhere else?? The Pats don't need the best slot receiver in the game. They need a decent one and at least one outside threat given the tight ends.

If they can get Welker at a price that makes sense... and allows them to still do the things they NEED to do... absolutely... sign him TODAY but if he is looking for huge top dollar (don't blame him at all if he is)... thanks for coming Wes. We appreciate all you've done and good luck with your new team.

... and your whole "Amendola for less money to replace those numbers blah blah blah" is retarded. They aren't looking to "replace those numbers" on a one-for-one basis. That's not how team sports with that whole salary cap thing work. Let me ask it this way... do you pay Wes Welker $9mm per year or Danny Amendola and Greg Jennings $10mm between the two of them?

If I'm the Pats.... I'm taking Amendola and Jennings in a heart beat.

Quote:

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #14336
Darwin18

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Garner, NC

I totally agree that Hernandez and Gronk are amazing, dynamic tight ends that can and should be the focal points of the Pats' offense. However, they both have had injury problems and rarely have been on the field together. Gronkowski is a beast, there is no denying that but he and Hernandez play a very physically demanding position. When either player has been down, the Pats have turned time and again to Welker to carry the load for the offense. I don't think you can deny that Welker and Brady have an unique connection that is replaceable.

Amendola has also had injury problems and I would be concerned that the Rams didn't make a serious attempt to retain him. Jennings is also a very talented outside receiver that would be dynamic with the Pats, however he has also had injury problems. I think both players are good, but are not slam dunk options to replace Welker.

If I'm Welker, I would test the market and see what my value is. A team like the Chiefs that are going to utilize the West Coast offense with a very accurate (albeit recently) Alex Smith would be an intriguing option. I believe the Chiefs have the cap room to land Welker, although I could be wrong on this. They also have a very talented offense that he would be transition to well.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #14337
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

May 2008
Norton, MA

Quote:
I totally agree that Hernandez and Gronk are amazing, dynamic tight ends that can and should be the focal points of the Pats' offense. However, they both have had injury problems and rarely have been on the field together. Gronkowski is a beast, there is no denying that but he and Hernandez play a very physically demanding position. When either player has been down, the Pats have turned time and again to Welker to carry the load for the offense. I don't think you can deny that Welker and Brady have an unique connection that is replaceable.

Amendola has also had injury problems and I would be concerned that the Rams didn't make a serious attempt to retain him. Jennings is also a very talented outside receiver that would be dynamic with the Pats, however he has also had injury problems. I think both players are good, but are not slam dunk options to replace Welker.

If I'm Welker, I would test the market and see what my value is. A team like the Chiefs that are going to utilize the West Coast offense with a very accurate (albeit recently) Alex Smith would be an intriguing option. I believe the Chiefs have the cap room to land Welker, although I could be wrong on this. They also have a very talented offense that he would be transition to well.
... and Welker blew out an ACL two year ago...

You're talking about Welker like he's Jerry Rice only better because he has a super mega mind-meld with Brady. The guy is REALLY good. but he is REALLY good at a position that the Pats don't need someone REALLY good for.

You keep saying the Pats need to "replace" him... why?? The Pats are the only team in NFL history to score over 500 points five times. Know how many SB wins they have for those five seasons? Zero. The last five out of six SB winners didn't even score 400 points in a season.

So if the Pats don't "replace" Welker... what are they gonna do? Only score 450 points?? ok. Is that BAD? When they can take that $9mm per year and put it to work on the defense... or on a true outside thread and a decent underneath guy?

Quote:

Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #14338
Darwin18

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Garner, NC

Quote:
You keep saying the Pats need to "replace" him... why?? The Pats are the only team in NFL history to score over 500 points five times. Know how many SB wins they have for those five seasons? Zero. The last five out of six SB winners didn't even score 400 points in a season.
When your defense is ranked 25th in the league you need your offense to score 500 points a season to get you deep in the postseason.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #14339
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

May 2008
Norton, MA

Quote:
When your defense is ranked 25th in the league you need your offense to score 500 points a season to get you deep in the postseason.
Or... OR... maybe this is a crazy idea... but... MAYBE you upgrade the D.

Like I asked before...

Would you take Welker for $9mm or Amendola and Jennings for $10mm?

Quote:

Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #14340
Darwin18

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Garner, NC

Quote:
Or... OR... maybe this is a crazy idea... but... MAYBE you upgrade the D.

Like I asked before...

Would you take Welker for $9mm or Amendola and Jennings for $10mm?
If it is strictly a budgetary decision AND you could really get both Amendola and Jennings for $10 million, than obviously the answer is Amendola and Jennings. I doubt that you would be able to get both for the same cost or less than Welker as Jennings will likely command a contract not far from what Welker is asking for. Jennings, when healthy, is a #1 receiver, no doubt. Amendola is an intriguing player but I'm not 100% sold on him as a credible replacement for Welker.

Upgrading the defense is going to be difficult with the cap room if the Pats sign Jennings/Amendola and Talib. Those three players will likely command the bulk of the available cap space so any improvements on defense will need to come through the draft.