Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Old Kegs as Brew Kettle?

Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #21
2nd Street Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

NY is even stricter. In an effort to stop under age keg parties they require a valid drivers license to get a keg. Also the deposits are alot higher. The keg is $10, the tap is $25 and the state deposit is $75 IIRC. I last got a keg a couple of years ago. They have a form that they attach directly to the keg and if it isn't with it when you return it then you don't get the state money back. I actually had more in deposits on the keg than what I paid for the beer.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #22
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

FYI: a lot of places are starting to take a credit card numbe when you buy a keg of beer. You pay the deposit like normal and can get it back, but if you fail to return the keg within 30 days (or whatever their limit is) they charge you $100 (or whatever they feel like).

It's kind of like Blockbuster's "NO LATE FEES" thing. Keep it long enough and they just charge it to your credit card and you own it.

-walker

Old 09-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #23
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonwj
Also if they really want to stop theives from stealing the kegs why don't they monitor scrap yards and fine them when found in thier heap?
Who are "they" who you propose do the monitoring? Who will perform the arrests, try the cases, and levy the fines? Now, if you can answer that, who is going to pay their salaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonwj
If I pay $12 for a deposit - that is telling me that the keg is worth $12 no?
Nope. Didn't you read the article that Thirstyone posted? At least one state caps the deposit that a brewer (keg owner) may charge.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #24
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Who are "they" who you propose do the monitoring? Who will perform the arrests, try the cases, and levy the fines? Now, if you can answer that, who is going to pay their salaries?

Nope. Didn't you read the article that Thirstyone posted? At least one state caps the deposit that a brewer (keg owner) may charge.
Who regulates trash heaps currently? Whoever does that can add this to their list. There should be no arrests just summons' and/or fines. Having this in place will eliminate heap owners from collecting them illegally. Aren't these auditers are already paid by their agencies?

Yes I read the article and know the information. My point is that the average person who buys beer in a keg figures that the deposit is worth the keg. How much incentive is it for someone to lose $12 dollars?

All I am saying is that if it wasn't for this forum, I would never have been interested in learning this information and would never have known about this law unless it smacked me in the face. Even the store employees were not aware of this until I took the keg back to them and told them about it.

Point: Less those who steal kegs for money, more infromation should be readily available to the public.

- WW

Old 10-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #25
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles
Grinder/Cutter worked for me. Takes a while but is cheap.

Try steel salvage yards or ask for discontinued kegs at breweries.

Not all are 15.5 Gallon (60L) kegs. a LOT are 50L or 13.21 US Gallons (11 imp). Really screwed me up with beersmith until I realised that.
Takes awhile, HAHAHA!!! I cut the top out of mine with a DREMMEL!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! ROFLMAO!!!! Had a keg, had a multi tool... had 20 cutting wheels... HAHAHAHA!!! only took about 4 hours, HAHAHAAH!!!! wow... Next time (yeah, I said next time, LOL!!!) I cut the top out of a keg I'm going down to get a Grinder with a metal cutting blade, some ear plugs and a turntable so I don't have to stop and rotate the keg. I can just rotate it with my foot. I've heard of people using a plazma torch but then slag is a problem. Some even use a sawzall(man, i need spellcheck!!!) but it's INSANE LOUD and you go through 3-5ish blades. But I don't know anyone who has used a Dremmel!!!!!!

...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)
DerrangedPOJO Likes This