$45 for a keggle - good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurderMittenBrewing

Reaction score
I paid $25 just for the weld job to get the coupler in mine and think it was a decent price welding stainless.I think $45 for a welded in ball valve is good. The rust on the outside is all that would concern me. And make sure there are available thread on the inside of the coupler.

Hey Kilted Brewer!

I called Widmer yesterday and they told me that there was a 40 person waiting list to get one of their kegs! I guess a lot of the smaller breweries around town buy their old kegs. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I waited about 6 months to get my second 2. First 2 my timing was perfect. Not sure why other breweries would purchase though. In order for them to sell they have to totally decommission them. They drill a hole in the top. At least that's what I was told.

C'mon...45 bucks is nothing! The stainless valve is worth some $$. The labor to cut and weld the keg is worth $$$. Scrap value alone $$. The weld isn't really critical on a boil vessel like it would be on a fermenter.

So the weld looks solid enough? It just looks like it was done by someone who didn't know what s/he was doing. I agree that the price was right... hell, the SS ball valve is pricy on its own!

Any thoughts on how to get it to fit on my turkey fryer?

Build a brew stand....;):D

Ditto:) but realistically in the short term, if you know someone who can weld, Weld a bigger base onto your burner, or a stand alone one that goes around the burner that would actually support the weight, Or while you're at that, just remove the burner from the existing stand and mount it to the new one. If you can't weld or don't know anyone who can. Use the angle iron with the holes in it and some bolts to build your burner stand.

Does it leak or something?
Slap a BBQ grate on your turkey fryer and get your brew on!

I filled it about 1/4 of the way up and it didn't leak... haven't tried it under brewing conditions, though. Could heat open the weld up?

I'm off to Home Depot this afternoon - the screen is $10 and I'm going to use some 12 gague copper wire to attach it to the top of my burner.

Now all I have to figure out is how to build a dip tube and hops screen!

Does it leak or something?
Slap a BBQ grate on your turkey fryer and get your brew on!

D'uh! Great solution !! So simple. I need to do this. Mine sits wobbly due to dented bottom. Is a barbeque great strong enough for 15 gallons of liquid with extreme heat applied?

D'uh! Great solution !! So simple. I need to do this. Mine sits wobbly due to dented bottom. Is a barbeque great strong enough for 15 gallons of liquid with extreme heat applied?

Get one of the bottom grates for Weber Gold Kettle. It's super strong and would work pretty well, for sure.

Latest posts

Back