Diacetyl funk... already kegged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstatepike

Reaction score
So I did not detect the diacetyl in my latest wheat beer until it was already in the keg and carbed (I was overconfident and did not taste at every step - lesson learned).

Here is my question, I have unhooked the keg and I am letting it warm to room temp. Since I obviously did not do a long enough diacetyl rest prior to kegging, can I just take this carbed keg and put it in my fermentation chamber for a few weeks? There should be plenty of yeast left, but do I need to do something to "wake them" so they can clean up this funk?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds good. How about the yeast? Anything special I need to do there, or will the shaking stir them up as well as knock the CO2?

I had a batch develop diacetyl REALLY bad in the keg.

I made a starter with US-05 yeast, warmed the keg up, dumped in the starter, and let it sit for two weeks.

That took care of most of the butter taste and smell. It was still there, but the beer was drinkable.

Back