So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started the boil on my second annual lambic. Having a great day so far and haven't even cracked a beer yet.

Got my Irish red in the fermenter. Got good efficiency again with the barley crusher mill. Stirred wort & top off a 2nd time & tested again to be sure of my gravity reading. Out of the 1.049-1.053 range,I got a 1.061! I think I'll be doing the dunk sparge from now on. Looks like a reddish copper color so far.:rockin:

Got my Irish red in the fermenter. Got good efficiency again with the barley crusher mill. Stirred wort & top off a 2nd time & tested again to be sure of my gravity reading. Out of the 1.049-1.053 range,I got a 1.061! I think I'll be doing the dunk sparge from now on. Looks like a reddish copper color so far.:rockin:

That's pretty awesome. When I first made the jump from extract to all grain I still had a kit leftover (I think it was a NB Irish stout) I did a mini mash of the steeping grains and got an extra 16 gravity points :cool:

I love it when a fresh crush & good mash/steep gives higher efficiency! I steeped the grains in 2G of spring water @ 158F. Lost 4 points in the smaller kettle over 30 minutes. Instructions said to steep @ 170F,but I like to stick to my usual routine. Maybe that's part of it?

I have three 1 gallon jugs of Motts Apple juice, waiting to be made into hard cider.
In one container will be a Apple/Cranberry using a 12 oz can of concentrate added.
In one container will be a Apple/Raspberry using a 12 oz can of concentrate added.
In one container will be a Apple/Apple using a 12 oz can of concentrate added.
I am fairly sure I will have enough juice left over to make another batch, of what I am not sure, it might be Apple/Grape, or Apple/Pear if I can find it.

I have three 1 gallon jugs of Motts Apple juice, waiting to be made into hard cider.
In one container will be a Apple/Cranberry using a 12 oz can of concentrate added.
In one container will be a Apple/Raspberry using a 12 oz can of concentrate added.
In one container will be a Apple/Apple using a 12 oz can of concentrate added.
I am fairly sure I will have enough juice left over to make another batch, of what I am not sure, it might be Apple/Grape, or Apple/Pear if I can find it.

Pear is a waste the flavor is to mild to come through IMHO

Just finished up a brew day about an hour ago. Wasn't originally going to brew, I was going to do some yardwork, but the weather last night called for rain most of the day. So I decided temps in the low 50s and rain, perfect garage brew day. Well, luckily I did a little yardwork in the morning, to not feel all bad, but it didn't rain until just as I was finishing clean up.

I did a leftover IPA. Basically built a recipe from a few leftover grains I had. If it turns out decent, I'll post the recipe. Nothing crazy. A little 60L, a little vienna and a touch of amber malt, then obviously 2 row. Mainly simcoe hops.

I am for the first time. And I am excited

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Congrats and welcome to the addiction!

Got a strawberry blonde into the fermenter right when SWMBO got home from work. Giddyup to 2 brews in one day while watching my 2 kids +1 friend and making lunch and dinner during the brew session.

beaksnbeer, thanks for the heads up regarding pear, i'll have to come up with something different then. I just added the first can of concentrate, and got an O.G. of 1.060, looks like I'll have to get another can of Apple/Raspberry to get the O.G. up a little more. I am using Irish Ale yeast this round, as I am interested to see what will happen using a yeast different than ESB 1968.

Since this weekend is over, I guess it's okay to talk about what I'm brewing this weekend then... right?

I threw down the gloves and I'm diving into a Russian Imperial Saturday. It's a bit daunting, I think, since I haven't done one in about 20 years or more. Anyone with experience around?
In any event I'm going to call it You're Putin me on. I just wish I could draw. It could be a really funny label. :ban:

I pitched the re-hydrated S-04 yeast on my Irish red about 3:53pm yesterday. Started bubbling slowly @ 64F about 7:10am this morning. Bubbling steadilly @ about 65F atm. None of that crazy blow off kind of fermentation yet from the S-04...

Since this weekend is over, I guess it's okay to talk about what I'm brewing this weekend then... right?

I threw down the gloves and I'm diving into a Russian Imperial Saturday. It's a bit daunting, I think, since I haven't done one in about 20 years or more. Anyone with experience around?
In any event I'm going to call it You're Putin me on. I just wish I could draw. It could be a really funny label. :ban:

Great name and good luck with the brew! I'm tentatively planning on doing Denny's Nick Danger Porter this coming Saturday using some of the washed Denny's 50 I got from Yoop's amber. :rockin:

Make sure there is an illustration of Putin riding a beer keg shirtless.

Brewed "Sophisticated Death Ale" and "Pineapple Summer Smash"

Brewed both at the same time...both came out perfect. Matched OG on both.

IMG_20140425_161018.jpg

IMG_20140425_183514.jpg

Another go round at the Vanilla Java Porter this time with slightly less coffee and more vanilla

14056676433_8329e74a42_c.jpg

Decided to brew up a mild after work today. Have 3 fermenters that need to be filled over the next few weeks and figured I would get started!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well,got my Irish red done yesterday. but since I have to wait till Thursday to get spring water & more ice to brew the ESB,I guess that's what I'll be brewing for National Home Brewer's Day this Saturday. All the better I guess. I can't wait to see how these two More Beer E/SG kits turn out. Interesting ingredients for the Irish Red;
7lbs ultra light LME
1lb crystal 120L
8oz abbey
8oz caramunich
2oz black roasted
2oz special b
1.5oz northern brewer (bittering)
2oz willamette (aroma)
Even the S-04 was dated 06/2015. Interesting combination of ingredients to me. A couple of the malts I haven't tried in my pm recipes yet.

Brewing a Sumpin Sumpin clone...gonna try and have it ready for Memorial Day weekend but may be pushing it close....this keeps happening to me lately! Time constraints and brewing just don't mix well.....

Looks like I'll be brewing my ESB this Saturday for National Home Brewer's Day. Supposed to be low to mid 50's this weekend anyway. So it'll be good for keeping initial temps down.

I'll be brewing up a Saison this weekend since the temps here in California are starting to climb. It's my second ever brew so I figure this will be a bit more forgiving with temperature control.

Not sure if I'll make it by the weekend, but "The Lukewarm" (half the grainbill of "The Pious" Westvleteren 12 clone, for yeast propagation and drinking) is nearing brewday.

Since finding out that Home Depot has 5G water bottles for $7,I'm getting one to use for getting spring water for my brews. I've been using my 6G BB for that as well. Handy. They also have a 2' x 4' folding table I'll also be getting for a bottling table that holds 150lbs. That'll speed up bottling day a bit.

I picked up some random kit from a garage sale for $10. I bought it mostly for the extra air lock, thief, gravity meter, and thermometer. I think I'll use the malt extract this weekend along with some random leftover grains and hops.. and see what happens. ;)

Back