Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How do I cure aluminum?

Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
brokenanchor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How do I cure aluminum?

So, I just got a new turkey fryer, and I'm stoked to brew out of it, buuut I also just read a post mentioning "curing" the aluminum before you use it. I know the whole controversy with aluminum and SS, and I've never had any problems, so I stuck with the aluminum. I really don't want to start having problems either, so am I alright to use the pot as is, or do I need to "cure" it...and how the hell would I go about this.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenanchor View Post
So, I just got a new turkey fryer, and I'm stoked to brew out of it, buuut I also just read a post mentioning "curing" the aluminum before you use it. I know the whole controversy with aluminum and SS, and I've never had any problems, so I stuck with the aluminum. I really don't want to start having problems either, so am I alright to use the pot as is, or do I need to "cure" it...and how the hell would I go about this.
Fill it with water and boil for at least 30 min.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 27 Posts

I'm sorry, I'm afraid there is no cure if you weren't vaccinated beforehand and you're already showing symptoms.

Oh, aluminum. Sorry, I thought you said "Rabies."

Fill it with water, boil it for half an hour, then dump the water out. You'll have a nice passive oxide layer and your pot will be ready to brew with.

Also, I have both SS and Aluminum pots, and I love them both dearly. Don't let anyone tell you not to use Aluminum!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
brokenanchor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah that's good to know...I've been having brew withdrawal lately, so I was about to fill it up with water and boil it just for the hell of it anyway, but now I guess I have a reason. Yeah that whole Alzheimers thing is a total myth, if I don't remember drinking the night before it's not because I'm brewing in an aluminum pot.