Hops in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottWa

Reaction score
I just a have a question about adding hops to primary fermentation. I have read in all my books that say not to do it due to the possible risk of infection since pH isn't acidic enough to kill funk due to no alcohol. I recently got a kit from Austin Homebrew Supply that is a clone of the Firestone Union Jack IPA and in their instructions it says to add 1.25 ounces each of Centennial and Cascade to the primary. There are also separate additions to the secondary for dry hopping. I am curious what others thoughts/experiences with this are. I did double/triple check the recipe to make sure I was reading it correctly. There is a boat-load of hops in this beer, I think over 10oz total for 5 gallons and apparently 2.5 go into the primary fermenter. Thoughts are appreciated.

Hops have anti-bacterial properties, so compared to other additions, they are much safer.

Once the yeast has a hold on the beer, most additions are fine.

I don't know what your recipe is, but if he hop addition is after fermentation has started, it should be fine.

Back