Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've reloaded Fallout 3 on my system... I have a pretty good list of things to do today, but I'm pretty sure most of them aren't going to get done. :)

Right now I'm playing Might & Magic Heroes VI but I always come back to Team Fortress 2. Got about 850 hours on that game.

Check out XCOM Enemy unkown and Civ 5. These two games are the only games i really enjoyed playing in a the last couple years.

Both are turn based strategy games.

XCOM was fantastic. I ended up playing mostly the iPad version, which gave up almost nothing against the desktop versions.

Civ V was a huge disappointment to me... Civ IV was a better game in so many ways. One thing that drives me nuts about V is staggering to the finish line for another two hours after you have CLEARLY won.

There is a dollar store near my workplace I stop at to buy gatorade, noticed yesterday they have a couple plug-and-play Sega's for 40 dollars with 80 built in games. Golden Axe 1, 2 & 3? Did you KNOW there were more than one? Shinobi? Definitely going back, even if I keep it boxed for whenever I have kids.

I remember waiting for 2 & 3 to come out. at that time we were all, "Check out those graphics!"

Anyone played Might and Magic: X Legacy?

Like a previous poster I've been looking for an old school turn based rpg, where I can ponder my next move for hours at a time. Saw this (PC only) and snagged it on steam. Seems to fit the bill. I've only created a party and messed around in town but it feels authentic and nostalgic.

If you're looking for a great turn based game that requires greater than average strategic planning, try Final Fantasy Tactics for playstation1 (if you haven't already).
Every battle is literally set up like a chess match.

Anyone played Might and Magic: X Legacy?

Like a previous poster I've been looking for an old school turn based rpg, where I can ponder my next move for hours at a time. Saw this (PC only) and snagged it on steam. Seems to fit the bill. I've only created a party and messed around in town but it feels authentic and nostalgic.

Just remembered this, check Valkyrie Profile Silmeria out

Destiny isn't bad. I'm not one for space themed games and I still enjoyed it. The multiplayer is quite decent and story is semi easy to follow. After playing the Hell out of it over the weekend though, it got a little stale to me. I'm very picky about games though, I don't mind grinding if there is a reason to do so but the gear leaves a bit to be desired. Its fun to get a random piece here and there but it seems that at the moment, there is a small selection of high end stuff and the only thing that differs from pvp/pve gear is aesthetic.

After playing the Hell out of it over the weekend though, it got a little stale to me. I'm very picky about games though,...

I think my "saving grace" here is that I have very little time for playing games. Playing at night when everyone else has gone to bed is a thing of the past. With two kids, I need sleep. Have several DL's that I haven't played once.

If you're looking for a great turn based game that requires greater than average strategic planning, try Final Fantasy Tactics for playstation1 (if you haven't already).
Every battle is literally set up like a chess match.

Double this, triple it with my brother who would say this as well.

Seriously Tactics is hands down is in my top 5 games ever. So many fun ways that you can play the game. Brute force everything with dual wielding squires (basically Hulk Smash) and jumping with Lancers that crush everything in a single shot (chess game totally on this to time the longer jumps). Or just completely break the game entirely by having a squad of calculators and no one can touch you at all.

I think I need to fire up my emulator for this now and crush foes beneath my dual mace squires.

Its fun to get a random piece here and there but it seems that at the moment, there is a small selection of high end stuff and the only thing that differs from pvp/pve gear is aesthetic.

I tend to "jump right in" regardless of experience level. Case in point, at level 4 I saw that a level 7 (or 8) mission was available. So, I went for it.

End result was some gear a bit beyond what I would have gotten staying in level but still useable by my character.

Curious happenings tho'. I try not to horde when in multiplayer. But on several occasions I noticed other players walking right past loot chests in plain sight. I've started to assume that they were only visible to me.

Curious happenings tho'. I try not to horde when in multiplayer. But on several occasions I noticed other players walking right past loot chests in plain sight. I've started to assume that they were only visible to me.

Yeah. I think they may have changed that. There was some documentation of people fighting over the chest at the end of a dungeon/raid, but now it seems it may be exclusive to the player. Not sure but I have encountered the same occurrence.

I play turbo out run at cc's about 2 times a year other then that i'm not into video games.pulled out the old atari 2600 and my 9 year old kid throttled me pretty good on his first time he ever playing it.

The last of us is easily one of the best games I've ever played. Been gaming for 20 years or so.

Don't get me wrong, love the classics. But this game is on a whole other level.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ending up getting it for the PS4. Wow! Really blew me away. What was really cool if or me I that I am from Pittsburgh, so that part of the game was awesome to play through. I'm sure the graphics were great in the original but on the PS4 it was beautiful! They really need to make a sequel.

Glad you liked it! You should try it on a harder difficulty setting. Really gets you immersed in the survival aspect with very limited resources.

Have any of you guys bought a Next gen console? I've been thinking of switching from XBOX 360 to PS4, I don't like the required Gold membership for online play. Do you have to pay to use online play for Playstation systems?

I have them both. But yeah you do have to get ps plus for online play. Most games anyway. There are a few free to plays so far. But any big title will require it.

I have them both. But yeah you do have to get ps plus for online play. Most games anyway. There are a few free to plays so far. But any big title will require it.

Dang ok thanks for the heads up kcmobrewer. I'm guessing that's $50/year as well?

Xbox gold retails for 60 and ps plus is 50. I usually can hunt them down on eBay for cheaper though.

Thats the biggest problem with recent games. You have to buy the title, then pay monthly on top of that to actually be able to play it. Not to mention what single player that most games have nowadays is severely cut down to almost nothing. I want offline play functionality dad-gummit. No wonder my last console was the PS2

Yeah I agree. I do like multiplayer so I don't mind paying it. That being said, I really miss the amount of games that had great single player stories.

I mean they're still around, but seems to be fewer and far between these days. That's the main reason I haven't bought destiny. I don't like the idea of the game enough to be tied into playing it online only.

The division on the other hand... Can't wait to start throwing my money at that game.

Xbox gold retails for 60 and ps plus is 50. I usually can hunt them down on eBay for cheaper though.

I paid $40 for 12 months of gold last month. Prior to that it was $32 but I found that deal via Slickdeals.

I don't play much/enough. I play Madden 12, still until I finish my season and just got into GTA V. I have a stack of other games but I haven't really been playing them. GTA V is proving to be better than I expected. I first played it way back in the day on my PC when I was big into Counterstrike. Now there is a game I wasted every single night and weekend playing.

Anybody played Titanfall yet? I was thinking it looked interesting & might make a good Christmas gift, what do you folks think?
Regards, GF.

I have PS4 and I look at it this way since I enjoy multiplayer games:

Buying PS Plus for multiplayer games is a little less than buying a new game in itself. So pay for the yearly pass so you don't get gouged by monthly fee's and just consider it like buying a game. Besides if you play some of the bigger titles really hard (destiny/call of duty etc) you really don't need to buy a ton of games anyway.

PS4 is gorgeous though and it seems much much faster in general. My PS3 is getting clunky.

Yeah I agree. I do like multiplayer so I don't mind paying it. That being said, I really miss the amount of games that had great single player stories.

I mean they're still around, but seems to be fewer and far between these days. That's the main reason I haven't bought destiny. I don't like the idea of the game enough to be tied into playing it online only.

The division on the other hand... Can't wait to start throwing my money at that game.

I have not played it much yet but, Destiny does have a very strong solo gameplay aspect. I have read that for some collectible items players do have to venture into the multiplayer arenas. But, I have also read that teh game is playable entirely solo. The real oddity with Destiny is the lack of voice chat unless you form a group.

Anybody played Titanfall yet? I was thinking it looked interesting & might make a good Christmas gift, what do you folks think?
Regards, GF.

I have Titanfall. It is a fun game and chaotic enough you don't have to feel compelled to group up. However, the load times between sets is annoying since it is a online multiplayer only you have to wait until it populates with enough people of your level before the board will start.

And that is what wears me down.

btw, I was able to get XB Live online DL for $49.95/yr.

I have Titanfall. It is a fun game and chaotic enough you don't have to feel compelled to group up. However, the load times between sets is annoying since it is a online multiplayer only you have to wait until it populates with enough people of your level before the board will start.

And that is what wears me down.

Thanx Gila, this is very handy to know! I really hate it when you can only play a game online; 1/2 the reason I buy a game is to have something to do OFFline. This is the reason I don't play Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3 anymore.
Regards, GF.

I personally really liked titanfall as well. Came free with my Xbox but I played the hell out of it. Really fun and fast paced. Playing as a Titan is really fun too. I do agree that the loading times really suck though.

Once again I feel like a solid single player part would have been really fun. It has the "campaign" but it's still multiplayer matches.

As far as the two consoles against each other.. I have both but I find myself playing my Xbox more. The controller is way better hands down. Never thought I would like the haptic feedback on the triggers so much.

The software and online experience is better in my opinion. However the hardware in the ps4 is undeniably better. Maybe only marginally, but it is what it is. Kinda figures based on the companies that manufactured them.

Diablo 3, at least RoS has been the recent cause of solid Saturday Morning hangovers for a while now. After working ass off all week every week, each Friday ends up the same.

- Clock out at 430pm
- Beer store by 500pm
- Hammer-kicking my friends front door open while carrying a case in each arm, a six pack dangerously from one hand finger tips and a bag of peanuts by 510pm
- Diablo from 515pm until passing out sitting up with an empty bottle in one hand, controller in other and a bag of spilled peanuts.

Thanx Gila, this is very handy to know! I really hate it when you can only play a game online; 1/2 the reason I buy a game is to have something to do OFFline. This is the reason I don't play Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3 anymore.
Regards, GF.

You should pick up Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition, you don't have to be online to play it and it adds a ton of new gameplay over the original.

Anybody picked up Shadow Of Mordor yet?

You should pick up Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition, you don't have to be online to play it and it adds a ton of new gameplay over the original.

Anybody picked up Shadow Of Mordor yet?

Didn't realize Shadow was out yet, although I didn't even hear about it until recently. Would also like to hear peoples reviews on it, although I have yet to be entertained by a LotR game.

This one's more of an open world action game like AC, it's getting good reviews.

I was curious about Shadow. Until you compared it to AC. Never been a fan of AC. Not sure why considering other similar games that I throrughly enjoy.

I think it's the lack of the psychological thriller aspect that I get from Fallout and Skyrim (dungeon and abandoned building spelunking)

Back