Suggestions and Advice for Bulk Floor Malted Selections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
I have now run out of my first two bags of bulk grains and I want to replenish my supplies for the next year. I started basic and picked up some Briess Pilsner and Pale Ale malt and had some success with these malts. Now I am looking at trying some new/different malts.

I really enjoy the decoction process so I am interested in picking up some floor malted grains this year. I am pretty sure I want some Weyermann Floor Malted Pilsner since I do quite a few Belgian beers.

I am looking for suggestions for a second bulk grain. I was thinking along the lines of another continental malt since I tend to make more German/Belgian/French styles of beer, and then IPAs. Some floor malted Marris Otter would be cool but I feel like I wouldn't do justice for the malt since I don't make a lot of British styles (lately), on the other hand mastering and placing a Wee-Heavy in competition is on my to-do list for the coming year.

So basically I am between getting some floor malted MO, a bulk bag of Munich, or a Vienna and I am not very familiar with Vienna. I do enjoy throwing a bit of Munich into any of the beers I make since it seems to just give a bigger better malt character. My black IPA that placed at the Minnesota Mash Out didn't score higher because it needed a bit more maltiness, either a shade of Munich or switching to Marris Otter for the base malt I think would be the solution(used Briess Pale Ale in the competition entry), so my thinking would be Munich/MO would push it into first place instead of second.

Back