Does the No-Chill Method need a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Just curious. I've looked through pages of threads and most of the no-chill threads mention having a yeast starter but don't say if it is necessary or not. Would using a packet or two of rehydrated Nottingham work with the no-chill method, or do you need the increased cell count from a starter to ensure a quick fermentation?

FWIW, I always make a RWS (real wort starter). I chill a small portion of the wort (.25-1 gallon) and pitch into it. Next day (24-36 hours), after I siphon the wort into the fermenter, I pitch the whole thing. I usually have noticeable fermentation in a couple of hours _ i guess because I'm pitching at near high krausen.

I even do this for dry yeast, except I use a smaller amount (like 1 or 2 quarts). I don't rehydrat, just straight into chilled "starter" and pitch like I do with liquid. Same results with fermentation. If i don't do the RWS, I see the typical lag.

No-chill does not change yeast requirements. I've never had a batch where one packet of Notty didn't do the trick. Somehow I missed the bad production run.

Back