time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes me think Sierra Nevada. Your 9.5 million mile clue is throwing me off. That's a light year.

No, it's not. It's roughly 0.1 AU (astronomical units, the distance from Earth to sun, around 92 million miles). A light year is tens of thousands of AU.

I'm guessing JK intended for the hint to reflect 1 AU.

That makes me think Sierra Nevada. Your 9.5 million mile clue is throwing me off. That's a light year.

A light year is MUCH larger (5.8x10^12 miles). 93 million is 1 AU (distance from earth to sun). Moon is 230K miles away. Cruithne, the closest asteriod, comes in around 7.8 million miles. Mars is ~225 million miles.

Yeah, not quite finding that 9.5 million sweet spot.

Oh my gosh, guys! I'm sorry, I typed the wrong number! That's what I get for using the touchscreen on my phone...it should have been "nearly 91 1/2 million." Ummm...mulligan? Anyway, you guys are still doing a decent job at deciphering the hint, despite the fact that I gave it to you wrong! None of the specific guesses are right yet, however.

Oh my gosh, guys! I'm sorry, I typed the wrong number! That's what I get for using the touchscreen on my phone...it should have been "nearly 91 1/2 million." Ummm...mulligan? Anyway, you guys are still doing a decent job at deciphering the hint, despite the fact that I gave it to you wrong! None of the specific guesses are right yet, however.

Well that would be the sun...hmmmm

No.

I will post another hint later, but I want to see if anyone can sleuth it out in the meantime now that I've corrected my dumb self.

But what the heck, I'll drop another small hint now. The previous hint has absolutely nothing to do with the *name* of the beer.

I'll tell you this: if you can suss out what I am describing with my hint, then figure out what it is called (specifically), you are within a simple Google search of getting the exact beer.

Since I'm really totally retired, I'll give some hints instead.

I mentioned before that 1 astronomical unit is 92 point something million miles. So why is he talking about 91.5 million? That's juuuust short of an astronomical unit and the difference is important.

The other hint is a bigger giveaway. How can a brewery be both West coast, and not West coast?

i-love-ths-thread.jpg

Also, I'm going to summarize the hints thus far.

1. Brewery is on the West Coast, but ALSO not on the West Coast.

2. Something vague about the number 91.4 million (I'm just giving you the actual number now).

3. The number, we have established, is a bit less than 1 astronomical unit. If you know what an astronomical unit is, then you can make an informed supposition about what it means to be at slightly less than 1 AU.

4. The supposition made in number three has a specific name. Using the adjective form of that name, along with the google, you will find what you seek.

And to confirm, I just went through all the google steps necessary to complete the puzzle with the above information. No other special information needed, but a keen eye is helpful.

If a brewery is ON the West coast, but also NOT ON the West coast, what are the possibilities for that brewery?

1. West coast... of Florida (already debunked)
2. West coast... of another country.
3. West coast... in Alaska (not really considered a West coast state)
4. West coast... and then another location that's not in the west coast.

Occam's razor applies here. Which one of these is the most simple explanation for the hint?

Back