Beer Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isolde

Reaction score
First post…

I am curious if I can use the yeast that is left in the bottom of the plastic fermenter to make bread?

I can’t see why not but I don’t know the steps I would need to follow. Or can I just scoop it out and make the bread right away?

Does anybody have any beer bread recipes they’d be willing to share?

:mug:

Certainly can! Below are some photos of baguettes I made with some harvested S-05. Flavor actually came out pretty well. If I am using commercial yeast (as opposed to sourdough), then I usually make a poolish or biga and do cold retardatations in the fridge overnight - it really enhances the flavor. However, when you do something like this, the idea is less yeast is more, as it allows more flavor to develop within the bread without breaking down too many sugars or overproofing.

DSC01476_rs.jpg

DSC01479_rs.jpg

Yes, this does work. Bearing in mind that brewers yeast is full of b vitamin ("bitamins") and sold in supplement pills as well as the marmite. Also it is a source of chromium apparently. The only issue is that the taste of the hops can be discernible.

What is it even called, maybe calling it Bitamin bread?

It might be the theoretical cause of autobrewery syndrome?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10976182

Indeed, Bitamin itself is the name of a 20th century Japanese journal.

Last edited:
I tapped another 2L bottle at the end of the brew.

I'm thinking you can add this to breadflour directly for Bitamin bread, or filter it through a cheese cloth, and boil it down with salt into a marmite.

Back