What size freezer for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Reaction score
So I didn't brew all summer because the temps were too high, and really want to control fermentation temp better anyway... I'm tiring of having carboys sitting in my bathtub with towels wrapped around them...

I'd really like to be able to fit 3-6.5 gal carboys in a freezer. Anyone know which size of floor or stand-up freezer I should be looking for on CL? Would it be better to go with a stand-up fridge or freezer, or a floor freezer?

Edit: I will probably also be switching to kegging eventually (I only bottle now), and was reading some of the 7 cu. ft. keezer build posts; I am wondering whether I should just get a fermentation freezer/fridge that can be used solely for fermentation now (and in the future) for 2 or 3 6.5 gal carboys, then later on build a keezer for serving temps with kegs...

What do you more experienced temp control/lagering/kegging folk do?

For fermentation, I prefer an upright fridge. Less of a lift. You probably won't find an upright that can handle 3 carboys, two is the practical limit. For a freezer, it's very difficult to generalize, because so much depends on the placement of the compressor.

I've got a 20 some CF upright that I built a shelf in and I can put 2 half barrels and 2 slim quarters in or a handful of cornys. I don't use carboys but I would imagine I could fit at least 3 or 4 of them in there.

I prefer stand up frost free refrigerators for both fermentation and kegs. I've used chest freezers and they have some drawbacks.

I doubt you will find a standard fridge that will hold more then 2 carboys. Possibly a large commercial fridge but those get pricey. I've always gone cheap with fridges and find them free or super cheap on craigslist

Really dumb question...... what about the freezer do you change to make it not freeze?

Really dumb question...... what about the freezer do you change to make it not freeze?

Actually it's a really important question. You use a temp controller. Ranco, Johnson, Love all make temp controllers. You can get them from a good home brew shop.

Back