Medicine flavor after a month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martiwj

Reaction score
A few months back I brewed an orange hefewiezen from extract plus grains and fresh orange (both flesh and peel).. It sat my normal one week in primary and one week in secondary, then I force carbonated it in a corny. For the first month, the draft had an amazing flavor, no complaints. Then about a week ago I poured a glass and it tasted and smelled like medicine. Any thoughts?

I've read that it could be chlorine in the water or a bit of contamination, but I'm confused about it not showing up for a month. The flavor hasn't changed over the last week.

If it was the chlorine, you'd notice it in the wort after a week or so. Ive had that once. An infection on the other hand can take awhile to build up. Is there any sourness? Or just the medicine flavor?

No sourness that I can tell, but definitely medicine. A bit more watery as the week has progressed too. I have a feeling it is an infection. Big bummer since this was a great beer.

If it was chlorophenols you'd have noticed it sooner.sounds like possible infection. Id wait for a second and third opinion, but in the mean time id seriously consider disposing of the beer as quickly as possible. By drinking it of course ;)

Latest posts

Back