do I need more yeast after cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjdetwiler

Reaction score
I currently have a pale ale in secondary, which I have allowed to drop to 40-45 deg for the last 3 days. I plan to prime this in the keg. I am afraid that too much of the yeast will have fallen out. Do I need to add yeast for priming? If so, how much? I do not have a CO2 tank yet so force carbing is not an option.

Nope.... hit the keg with CO2 before racking (while open) then rack it in w/ sugar. Oops... no tank yet!? You need to get that so you can set the seal on the lid. Without popping in a few PSI its unlikely the keg will seal and you'll remain flat.

I will use a picnic dispenser to seal the keg. I was just worried that there would not be enough yeast to attack the sugar and carbonate.

picnic dispenser? You mean like a handheld charger with the little CO2 cart? Don't do it... you'll lose all your co2 so you'll spend a single cart for just the keg sealing.

Yeh... thats like $1 that would go towards your tank, regulator, lines, and taps. (plus the cost of the picnic thingy).

I wouldn't worry about the yeast... they'll do their job as long as the keg is kept at room temp.

Thanks, I feel better about the yeast. as far as using the cartridges, It is my only option at the time. SWMBO isnt excited about purchasing a co2 tank yet, but I am working on it.

Back