1st beer good head, 2nd beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrake

Reaction score
First off, I know this question has been posted elsewhere, but my currently limited mind cant think of the words to find a good search for it.

Just this particular beer in my 3 tap kegerator is having issues, the first beer comes out perfect. the second beer is like 50% foam... I've double checked all of my fittings, and everything seems to be in order. suggestions?

Usually it's the exact opposite - first beer is all foam, subsequent beers are OK.

Without more info I'd say it sounds like your beer maybe overcarbed, or you have too short of lines. The first pour may seem 'perfect' but really what likely happened is most of the CO2 has already come out of solution (this usually happens to the beer left sitting in the line for a long time), so when you pour it it's not creating excess foam. But on the next pour (the first "fresh" one), the beer hasn't had a chance for the carbonation to escape and so it does once it hits your glass.

Here's some questions that will help:

What temp and PSI did you carb at?
What temp and PSI is the beer at now?
How long of lines from the keg to faucet?
What size lines are you using (3/16", 5/16", etc)?
What's the height difference between keg and faucet?

For the record, I figured this out. I had force carbonated 3 different brews at one time, and this particular one I had forgotten to bleed the excess co2.
I run my system with 10' lines, the kegerator is set at 36 +/- 2 degrees at 12 psi. 3/16 lines

Back