adding to the primary ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
anyone think this is a bad idea?

i been fermenting for a week in primary. i have a had a very slow fermentation, i'm NOT going to a secondary on this one. i wanted to add cocoa powder and a little vanilla extract. i was gonna boil a little water and add my powder and vanilla. could i add it now to the wort and stir it in very slowly and let the primary sit for about a 2 weeks then bottle. also the slow stiring may start up some of the yeast again right ??? thanks

I would recommend if you are going to add it, add it to a secondary before transferring the beer to it. I know you want to use secondary on this but it's the best way to get a good mix I think. Have you checked your gravity yet? The airlock is not necessarily the best indicator for how well a fermentation is going.

:tank:

That's the problem, not anything else. Munton's doesn't seem to like to drop below 20.

do a search for "munton 20" You will find a few threads where Munton's stops at 20

ok i didn't know that. i won't use it again then. so do you think i should go to the secondary and add my cocoa and vanilla? hey devaspawn thanks for your help !!! -Lee

Yeah, I ran into the same problem once. It's frustrating as hell. It's still beer so that's the good news.

If you want to add that stuff, boil it like you said, pour it into secondary and then rack the beer on top. That will do a pretty thorough job of mixing it.

No problem, brudder!

Back