1/2 dme added to chilled wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtuna

Reaction score
My first time using all DME on an extract batch (IPA). I added little less then half at beginning of boil. Then at flame out I got distracted, and eagerly threw in my new wort chiller. Within minutes the wort is down to 105. Then I see the bag with 1/2 the DME set aside!!! I pulled the chiller out and poured in the DME. I whisked it in as fast as I could. It all dissolved. I chilled it down and pitched the yeast. This was Monday afternoon and it started perking the airlock today. Will this be ok? I Brewed a Hefe batch right after this and that is fermenting very aggressively at 70 degrees. The IPA is right next to it and fermenting about 1 bubble a second at 67 degrees.

It would have been better if you had boiled the DME for 15 minutes or so, but you are probably still ok. Really your only concern is probably that the DME or the bag it was in might have had some type of contaminate in it. You already pitched the yeast. You might as well ride it out.

Oh, and don't compare the fermentation rates of two different yeasts. One yeast does not ferment in the same way as another. You will just cause yourself undue concern.

Total loss!!! j/k It is fine extract is pre sanitized as long as it dissolves you should be fine....RDWHAHB!

ok, I figured that if the DME was not added to hot water, sugar would not be released for the yeast to feed. The ferment is picking up so I hope all goes well.

Back