Red Hook Long Hammer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
I bought some of this today... yum... very strong aroma, not so strong flavor, but all in all very tasty! It was 60 here today, had to grill out... awesome!

Thats some pretty good stuff, Im not sure if its just me but over the last couple years it seems like it has changed. Doesnt seem as hoppy to me as it used to.

That's the beer that used to be the Ballard Bitter back in the day. They don't make the other IPA anymore.

I tried it a while back. Not hoppy enough for an IPA for me, but still a decent beer.

For an IPA it's on the low end of the style, but it's still a nice beer. Hoppy, firmly bitter and drinkable.

I read a lot of reviews that really kill this beer. I bought a 6 pack a while ago and thought it was pretty damn good. Very drinkable. I remeber I drank 3 bottles in one sitting no problem. I don't care how great an IPA is, if I drink a pint I should immediately want another, you do with this beer.

It is really good, I have some Thunderhead IPA that has a little less aroma, but WOW, alot more flavor... both are great, the Long Hammer would probably be more acceptable for people not familiar with "real" beer! IPAs are SOO relaxing.

IPA is a very difficult style to make. Ask any home brewer. I used like every IPA I met until I started home brewing. A no-name IPA was my batch number two.

Once I knew what was going on, I didn't like IPAs anymore. I like the idea, but not the reality. I used to like Long Hammer too.

Keep trying other IPAs and pay attention to hops all the way through your process. My batch number 30 something, was biermunchers First Wort Hopped IPA. When you know the difference between alpha and beta acids, try biermuncher's recipe.

M2c,
P

ssst, buddy... now I really like SN Harvest Ale and Stone IPA.

Poindexter said:
IPA is a very difficult style to make. Ask any home brewer. I used like every IPA I met until I started home brewing. A no-name IPA was my batch number two.

Once I knew what was going on, I didn't like IPAs anymore. I like the idea, but not the reality. I used to like Long Hammer too.

Keep trying other IPAs and pay attention to hops all the way through your process. My batch number 30 something, was biermunchers First Wort Hopped IPA. When you know the difference between alpha and beta acids, try biermuncher's recipe.

M2c,
P

ssst, buddy... now I really like SN Harvest Ale and Stone IPA.

Interesting that you think that way and I'm not sure exactly why, but hey it's your opinion. I made an extract IPA last year that I thought kicked butt and it got a good review from Brewtopia as well. I have tried so many different IPA's and the difference between each breweries ideas for an IPA is what keeps me wanting more.

BierMuncher said:
I enjoy it. But it does fall into the grocery store definition of an IPA.

Absolutely right. It's a good beer, but there are certainly better IPA's to be purchased. I'm guessing that AB's 40%+ stake in Red Hook may have had something to do with the loss of hop bitterness and aroma that this seems to have experienced over the last couple of years.

Well i am new to try to pick out the hop differences (spelling) in brews. I picked up this IPA tonight thinking this was a good beer to try to brew like, and tonight I thought that it was light in bitterness in the beginning heavy in the middle and nothing in the end ...ooo and none to little hop aroma!!!

when I first had the Red Hook IPA ... I was floored in the flavor of the beer..... Not knowing any better! But now, it is still a good beer but it leaves much to be desired in my opinion!

Give or Take,
Fire
I am new to refined tasting!

Yuri_Rage said:
Longhammer's a great IPA for what it is - a macro attempt at a style dominated by micros. I think I'd sum it up by saying, "sessionable IPA."

Agreed. Very Quaffable.

Brewsmith said:
That's the beer that used to be the Ballard Bitter back in the day. They don't make the other IPA anymore.

FAIL!! Ballard Bitter is now ESB!

I actually liked their original IPA better than longhammer but they are both good. I would say that 80% of all of my bottles are Red Hook bottles. Got hooked on that stuff for a while and for a time it was 11$ a 12 pack so I couldn't go wrong. I had the Longhammer on tap not to long ago and have a restored appreciation for it. I think that all beers taste better on tap though. The Black Hook was on tap there too, under nitro and that was absolutely delicious

richab said:
FAIL!! Ballard Bitter is now ESB!
Press Release: Redhook Long Hammer Ale Nails Down Taste

pr-redhook-longhammer.jpg

CRAFT BREW LOVERS HAVE NEW BAR CALL FOR ORDERING POPULAR INDIA PALE ALE

Redhook Ale Brewery honors roots by renaming its Redhook IPA to “Long Hammer IPA”
SEATTLE, January 31, 2007 – Redhook Ale Brewery has rechristened its popular bold-spirit, dry-hopped India Pale Ale (IPA) today by officially renaming it “Long Hammer IPA.” Reflecting on everything great that was ever built—transcontinental train tracks, impossible pipelines, soaring skyscrapers—the namesake pays tribute to our predecessors who used a long hammer to break rock and lay rail. With the Long Hammer name, Redhook assures craft brew lovers that its dry-hopped IPA has a taste built to stand the test of time.
“Brewed honoring the laborers before us, but crafted for the tastes of today, it’s only fitting that the hardest working IPA out there take the name Long Hammer,” said Redhook President Dave Mickelson. “It’s the IPA we believe consumers will reach for again and again, drawn to its distinctive hoppy aroma and bold drinkability.”
Long Hammer IPA is a strong, hard-working hoppy beer that’s defined by its one-of-a-kind taste of cascade hops. Originally called “Ballard Bitter” after one of Seattle’s hardest-working neighborhoods, the beer later became known as Redhook IPA. Long Hammer is a brass-colored craft beer featuring a bitterness of 38.5 IBU, alcohol by volume of 6.51 percent and original gravity of 1.06 degrees plato. Long Hammer is particularly enjoyable with grilled meats and spicy entrees.
After a long, hard day, today’s 8-to-5ers can now pay tribute to the long-hammer laborers before them as they call for a “Hammer” at the bar or when at home. Long Hammer IPA is currently available in 12 Western states on tap and in local grocers.
About Redhook Ale Brewery, Inc.
Redhook is an independent brewer of craft beers, producing eight styles of beer marketed under distinct brand names: Redhook ESB, Long Hammer India Pale Ale (IPA), Redhook Blonde Ale, Blackhook Porter, and its seasonal offerings, Copperhook, Late Harvest Autumn Ale, Sunrye Ale and Winterhook Winter Ale. Redhook brews its specialty bottled and draft products exclusively in its two Company-owned breweries, one in the Seattle suburb of Woodinville, Washington, and the other in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The Company distributes its products through Craft Brands, a network of wholesale distributors, and a distribution alliance with A-B. Redhook beer is available in 48 states. Visit www.redhook.com to learn more about Redhook and its products.
For more information or samples, contact:
Julie Norton, 503.331.7267
Redhook Ale Brewery
[email protected]
Mark Baker, 503.471.6844
Edelman for Redhook Ale Brewery
[email protected]

I beg to differ young squire. Why don't you check your facts before slamming someone who's been around the block a few times. :cool:

And that was only his third post. DB, you went there. I was questioning whether to go there or not, and decided on being more diplomatic. My initial reaction was "Suck it, Trebek!"

38.5 IBU... wow... sounds wimpy for an IPA... but, I like it. It is not like Thunderhead, but it is a good session beer.

This is much better as a Nitro beer. We went to the brewery for dinner about 2 weeks ago, and my boyfriends father got the Nitrogen Long Hammer. It's very creamy and that makes up for the not-so-exciting flavor. :)

My wife about spit it out... too hoppy he he... beginner!

My friend drinks Longhammer almost exclusively and I always have a few when I am over at his place. The last couple of times that I was over I noticed a distinct lack of aroma and flavor that had been there before. But for a session IPA I prefer the Bridgeport.

Longhammer's a great IPA for what it is - a macro attempt at a style dominated by micros. I think I'd sum it up by saying, "sessionable IPA."
I don't know about "sessionable", I killed a 6er of these one night myself and had to call in the next day..... Whoooooaha

Back