Anyone Snus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, rape in Norwegian (and as far as I know, Swedish), means 'burp' or 'belch'.

But it's pronounced 'rah-puh'.

The English 'rape' is translated as voldtekt. Literally, 'violently taken'.

Speaking of, and I may have just overlooked this somewhere. Is it......

Snus = Sn-uh-s (u pronounced as Uh)

or

Snus = Sn-oo-s ( u pronounced as Ooh)

Ooh.

'U' and 'o' are pronounced similarly, although differently. I still have a hard time differentiating between them, even after 3 years in Norway. There is a difference, though...

Ooh.

'U' and 'o' are pronounced similarly, although differently. I still have a hard time differentiating between them, even after 3 years in Norway. There is a difference, though...

Kool. I had my suspicions that was the way but also had my doubts given the simularity to the American-English (?) pronunciation of 'Snuff'. I know the translation is the only connection but had never heard Snus actually said.

Same here! I just ordered the 'American Portion Starter Kit'
It includes 1 can of each -
General Wintergreen
Offroad Icemint
General White
Grovsnus White
Gotlandssnus Green
Jakobsson’s Ice Fruit
Goteborg’s Rape #2
General Onyx
Ive heard rave reviews on the General Onyx, but Im rather excited to try the others as well! The Camel snus isnt too bad (frost that is) and it REALLY has helped me to cut back on ciggies. Ill be glad when I am done with them!
Ill let yall know how these come out!
-Me

Göteborgs Rapé
General White
Catch Eucalyptus
Röda Lacket
Ettan White
Kronan White
GrovSnus White
Tre Ankare

Not too sure about the Eucalyptus but the others interest me.

Not too sure about the Eucalyptus but the others interest me.

I ordered the Catch White once because I love the smell of eucalyptus trees from when I lived in CA. But I didn't really care for the Catch. The eucalyptus is strong and almost eliminates any tobacco flavor. Everything is worth trying though.:)

I ordered the Catch White once because I love the smell of eucalyptus trees from when I lived in CA. But I didn't really care for the Catch. The eucalyptus is strong and almost eliminates any tobacco flavor. Everything is worth trying though.:)

I'll have to design my own mixes next time.

btw, are you seriously ordering that often or do you just not Snus much?

I find my 15 portion tins only last me about 2 days so that's a new portion every 1.5 hours (while awake) for me. Perhaps these stronger portions will carry longer.

And, how many portions are in these tins?

btw, are you seriously ordering that often or do you just not Snus much?

I find my 15 portion tins only last me about 2 days so that's a new portion every 1.5 hours (while awake) for me. Perhaps these stronger portions will carry longer.

And, how many portions are in these tins?

Not to be a downer, but I believe all the ones you listed are about 8mg nicotine per pouch also. You need the Strong Snus, which has 11-17 mg per pouch depending on the type. You can always put in 2 at a time.;)

Most Swedish snus cans (particularly from General) have around 24 pouches in them. I snus about 4 times a day, at 24 in a can, that's 6 days a can. So, 2 rolls last me almost 4 months.

Speaking of, and I may have just overlooked this somewhere. Is it......

Snus = Sn-uh-s (u pronounced as Uh)

or

Snus = Sn-oo-s ( u pronounced as Ooh)

I believe your answer is #2
I read somewhere that its Snus (Rhymes with Goose)
All I know is im itching to get my Swedish Snus in. The Camel Snus does the trick, but it doesnt last for anything...
-Me

Most Swedish snus cans (particularly from General) have around 24 pouches in them. I snus about 4 times a day, at 24 in a can, that's 6 days a can. So, 2 rolls last me almost 4 months.

Wow. 1.6 times the product at nearly half the price of domestic. Great news although I won't expect that to be the standard with all the brands.

8mg/portion is fine by me. I was just trying to discern how long to expect the supply to last.

Wow. 1.6 times the product at nearly half the price of domestic. Great news although I won't expect that to be the standard with all the brands.

8mg/portion is fine by me. I was just trying to discern how long to expect the supply to last.

Im kind of in this boat as well. The Cameljunk doesnt last for shiz (30 minutes tops) and I find a tin lasting me a couple of days as well. From what I have read, the Swedish Snus has a tendency to last quite a bit longer (up to 2 hours in some cases) and therefore reducing the need to grab another pouch so often. SNUSCentral.Org - Your Source For Everything SNUS is a great resource and they have lots of reviews on different snuses.

(Back to an older posting of mine)
Camel now only offers Frost and Mellow with their snus. (In the US that is) When they first offered snus to us yanks, they had 3 flavors - Original, Spice, and Frost. It was in 2009 that the transition to only 2 flavors happened. Frost stayed, and Mellow was introduced. After reading quite a bit about snus, Im kind of sketchy on Camel snus, but it does the trick for the time being and has helped me cut WAY back on smoking. I plan to be smoke free here sooner than later.
-Me

I've decided to go smoke free for my 21st on.

Oh, and that camel snus does seem weak.

By the way, rape in Norwegian (and as far as I know, Swedish), means 'burp' or 'belch'.

It's "rapa" in Swedish... However, there are plenty of other ways you can make a fool out of yourself using "swenglish". One of my favourite episodes was when the incredibly good looking swedish hostess ment to say to the Japanese client that she could take his overcoat and show him the way to the V.I.P lounge and she says:
"Please take of your clothes and meet me in the whip-room":eek:...

H

"use" is pretty close to how it is pronounced in Swedish.

H

Awesome! We now have a resident expert here from the source!

Any recommendations on what to try out as far as the portioned is concerned?
Thanks
-Me

BTW, Tourney has some snus too. It is much cheaper than the Camel stuff. Flavors aren't as good.

All right my shipment is in!

First up is General Portion from Swedish Match. At 1 gram per pouch, these regular size are not larger than the Tourney's (which are more square than Camel's) but they are more filled. Not crazy about the smell, but the taste is very mild and enjoyable. The 'envelope' is softer than the American versions, so the bulkier gram is quite comfortable. It's made me salivate a bit, probably because I need to get used to the size, but I did give it a shot and swallow a bit of juice. No burn like Tourney's, but I wouldn't make a practice of it obviously.

Funny story, a few months ago I had a can of the Tourney snus. I gave some to a friend who dips often. I told him that it doesn't really make you have to spit, but if you salivate a bit, you're ok to swallow if the bag stays dry and out of your spit. Well, he decide to play with it with his tongue like you would if you were adjusting chew. He kept swallowing as he walk through Meijer until his throat was on fire and he could barely squeak out a word to the cashier on the way out.

You should be able to swallow your snussed saliva with no ill effects (hence no spit tobacco) I have no issues with swallowing my spit (sure the throat burns a little) but this is something that you grow accustomed to. Remember - this is snus NOT dip. (Dip has always made me sicker than ****) I reread your post as well - General portion is a good snus (from what I have read) but not necessarily for the snubie, especially when it comes to swallowing the juices. What else did you get with your order??!! I am anxiously awaiting mine!!! (8 cans of VARIETY!!!)

They also say to never smell your snus. Unfortunately, snus isnt like good brew which mandates that you take a huge whiff before you consume it.

One thing I mentioned to them at snuscentral.org was a 'Hop' snus. I looooooooove the smell and spiciness of some goooooooood hops. I think that this might translate well to a snus. Maybe?
-Me

You should be able to swallow your snussed saliva with no ill effects (hence no spit tobacco) I have no issues with swallowing my spit (sure the throat burns a little) but this is something that you grow accustomed to. Remember - this is snus NOT dip. (Dip has always made me sicker than ****) I reread your post as well - General portion is a good snus (from what I have read) but not necessarily for the snubie, especially when it comes to swallowing the juices. What else did you get with your order??!! I am anxiously awaiting mine!!! (8 cans of VARIETY!!!)

I believe I have what you have (or going to have):

Swedish Match Tasting Kit Regular Large (8 cans)
Box with 8 cans of regular snus:

General
Probe
Nick and Johnny
Ettan
Kronan
GrovSnus
General Silver
General Maxi

Do you know what the silver is?

Yeah I know snus isn't dip at all. My poor friend got the idea that snus = dip that you swallow instead of spit...poor bastard. Have you had some of the Camel/Tourney stuff (you may have already mentioned)? Cause that stuff burns. The General Portion, not one bit.

Oh yeah, I had to smell it. I opened the package like it was Christmas.

EDIT: Found my answer - General Silver (Mild) Portion, Middle rounded snuff with an element of citrus. I went out for a friends birthday Saturday and took my snus with me (Camel at that point). Didn't smoke one cig! That has been impossible for me to do while drinking. I pretty stoked about that.

I've never tried "real" snus before, but being as I already go through several pinches of Grizzly and/or Kodiak a day at work I thought I'd give the Camel Snus a go. I picked up a can of the "mellow" flavor, and it smells pretty good, kinda mango-y or something. I put in one pouch and it didn't really seem like there was much to it, so I threw in a second one to go with it. At first I didn't get much of anything flavor-wise off of it, but after having this stuff in for two hours I have to say it tastes pretty good. The no spitting part of it is a bonus. The can says "30 minutes", but it's still got a good flavor after way longer than that. It also doesn't have the typical dip "burn" to it.

My poor friend got the idea that snus = dip that you swallow instead of spit...poor bastard.

I guess I am not following you brother, are you saying that your friend swallowed the portion, the pouch, the envelope?

Or are you really misunderstanding that Snus is a No Spit tobacco. You are supposed to swallow the "juice". Of course, you can do whatever you want with your Snus I just don't want you mislead and want to ensure you get the most from your Snus.

Don't confuse Snus with portioned dip. Snus juice is meant to be swallowed not spat.

All that said, I am really anticipating my order to show this week. Until then, Camel Snus will have to suffice. I am up to 2 portions at a time ocassionally. Especially when I start to get the urge to smoke.

I knew a Swedish girl and her breath smelled really like ass from this ****, and I was a heavy smoker at the time, vile vile stuff, each to his own.

I knew a Swedish girl and her breath smelled really like ass from this ****, and I was a heavy smoker at the time, vile vile stuff, each to his own.

I suppose that is entirely possible depending on the brand or blend. My wife is a non-smoker. She was not aware that I was using Snus in lieu of smoking and spontaneously kissed me while I had a portion in.

She asked if I was eating a candy. :eek:

I must say that the anticipation is killing me as well. By all accounts that I have heard, the Swedish Snus makes the Camel dung, well just that. My biggest issue with Camels snus is the weak nic content (I think - this could be a med thing too)

But when I am not smoking ciggies, and trying to just use the snus - I turn into an asshat. My tolerance level is nil, and I get all fidgety and such. (And everything pisses me off - specially when its not happening how and when I want it)

I have a nice lil buzz going now from some brewhaha, plus I picked up a pack of smokes (which pisses me off) Oh well... Maybe another day or two and I will see if the Swed Snus lives up to the hype I have let myself fall into :)

Its kind of pathetic when I think about it... Racing home in anticipation of looking in the mailbox to find my first shipment of snus. Well, when you are using Camel snus at a ridiculous rate and its no longer cutting the mustard.
I guess Im not SO pathetic after all.
-Me

I guess I am not following you brother, are you saying that your friend swallowed the portion, the pouch, the envelope?

Like I said earlier, the General portions don't bother me at all when swallowing. However, Tourney snus juice is vile satanic stuff. They actually stay pretty dry usually, but he was playing with it.

I must say that the anticipation is killing me as well. By all accounts that I have heard, the Swedish Snus makes the Camel dung, well just that. My biggest issue with Camels snus is the weak nic content (I think - this could be a med thing too)

But when I am not smoking ciggies, and trying to just use the snus - I turn into an asshat. My tolerance level is nil, and I get all fidgety and such. (And everything pisses me off - specially when its not happening how and when I want it)

I have a nice lil buzz going now from some brewhaha, plus I picked up a pack of smokes (which pisses me off) Oh well... Maybe another day or two and I will see if the Swed Snus lives up to the hype I have let myself fall into :)

Its kind of pathetic when I think about it... Racing home in anticipation of looking in the mailbox to find my first shipment of snus. Well, when you are using Camel snus at a ridiculous rate and its no longer cutting the mustard.
I guess Im not SO pathetic after all.
-Me

I feel ya' I cashed in on some buy ones, get one coupons and got 8 tins of Camel Snus for about $20 and have found myself double portioning. I have my doubts that the Camel Snus even has the 8mg Nicotine it's reported to have.

I just persist tho'. I like the feeling of not being drawn and quartered by a cigarette. I donlt like the amount of crap I have been coughing up tho. Nasty, vile stuff, akin to the goose poop referenced earlier in the thread. Of course, this is also tied to a respiratory break down.

I do miss that first cig of the day buzz tho'. Those were lovely.

YAY! My Snus arrived in the mail today, and I immediately put it in the freezer to await sampling. I started with the Jakobsson’s Ice Fruit for starters and what a difference from the Camel snus! The flavor profile is quite different, and it seems to last quite a bit longer. I wasnt initially impressed with the JIF, but it filled my vitamin N craving quite nicely. I am now sampling the Goteborg’s Rape #2 and I think I really like this snus. It has a subtle eucalyptus flavor that is kind of pleasant, and the salt and tobacco flavors are not overpowering. Definitely different, definitely not 'butt flavored' as my regular smokes are. (Plus, my lungs will thank me in the long run!)

More to come as I sample more of these snuses!
-Me

YAY! My Snus arrived in the mail today, and I immediately put it in the freezer to await sampling. I started with the Jakobsson’s Ice Fruit for starters and what a difference from the Camel snus! The flavor profile is quite different, and it seems to last quite a bit longer. I wasnt initially impressed with the JIF, but it filled my vitamin N craving quite nicely. I am now sampling the Goteborg’s Rape #2 and I think I really like this snus. It has a subtle eucalyptus flavor that is kind of pleasant, and the salt and tobacco flavors are not overpowering. Definitely different, definitely not 'butt flavored' as my regular smokes are. (Plus, my lungs will thank me in the long run!)

More to come as I sample more of these snuses!
-Me

List what you got! So how many of us are in here quitting the cancer stick?

Nice. I expect mine any day now. Glad to here it didn't get flagged in customs.

I haven't gotten mine yet but I have already laid out my next order in preparation. Gonna go witha the 4 pack General Onyx, the Swedish Camel blend, and a Luck Strike for giggles.

I used to smoke Lucky Strikes a very long time ago. They seemed to have dissappered and I changed brands. All time fav is Dunhill Reds but dang they are pricey. Wonder if they will produce a Snus.

Currently sucking on 3 Camel portions to fight off an urge. Before long, at this rate, I will be the dude in the first image link.

Nice. I expect mine any day now. Glad to here it didn't get flagged in customs.

I haven't gotten mine yet but I have already laid out my next order in preparation. Gonna go witha the 4 pack General Onyx, the Swedish Camel blend, and a Luck Strike for giggles.

I used to smoke Lucky Strikes a very long time ago. They seemed to have dissappered and I changed brands. All time fav is Dunhill Reds but dang they are pricey. Wonder if they will produce a Snus.

Currently sucking on 3 Camel portions to fight off an urge. Before long, at this rate, I will be the dude in the first image link.

Good luck on the Lucky Strike, it appears that it is MIA for the time being (at least for those in the states) I didnt read enough to know if it is gone for good, or if they are just redoing their packaging. Lots of people seem to like the LS - they say it has a nice 'smoky' flavor that compliments the snus.

Enjoy!
-Me

+1 but still a work in progress. Consume the sticks way less than I had. I think I am up to 12 empty Snus tins and 14 cigs since I started Snus'ing.

Need to find a good use for the empty tins. Seems irresponsible to chuck them into the recy bin.

Here is my (virgin) snus order -

General Wintergreen
Offroad Icemint
General White
Grovsnus White
Gotlandssnus Green
Jakobsson’s Ice Fruit
Goteborg’s Rape #2
General Onyx

This is the 'American Starter' pack from snuscentral.org

So far ive only had 2 of them, but I am thinking that this will be the end of the cancer sticks for me. They DEFINITELY satisfy the vitamin N craving, and I think I like them much more than the Camel snus. The Camel snus you will realize is sweet. (Too sweet IMO) I like the pseudo saltiness and flavors of the snuses that I have tried thus far.

They say that the General Wintergreen is a good starter for those who like to use dip. (Dip = NASTY IMO)

I think Ill try that one next!
-Me

*UPDATE*
I just popped in a General Wintergreen, and I must say that it is very similar to Skoal wintergreen dips. The flavor (from what I remember) is very very similar... Not exactly a new favorite for me, but its snus! And I am still enjoying it. I can see why they suggest this one for someone who dips. (The no spit is the best part!)

My booty arrived in the mail today!

Jakobssons Ice-Fruit Snus:
Good amount of 'soapy' flavor. Slightly salty. Not much tingle. Very very mild 'ice-fruit' flavor. Felt like I had to spit a lot. I couldn't wait to get that thing out of my mouth.

General Dry Mint mini portion:
Great icy peppermint flavor & smell. Relatively sweet 'Trident Original' gum flavor. Good tingle - very refreshing. Somewhat similar to Camel Frost Snus but longer lasting. I'm definitely going to fall in love with these.

General ONYX Portion:
According to buysnus.com this is the finest snus General offers. I can't describe exactly how this smells - sweet mosquito spray maybe? Urinal Cake perhaps? MIld pine-sol hints? Soapy flavor is back. This is one of the stronger ones clocking in at 11mg/g of Nicotine. I can't get over the soapiness...wtf?

Thunder Frosted Extra Strong portion:
Holy headrush batman! Ridiculously strong spearmint smell upon opening the can. I think my lip is being raped by nicotine/spearmint. This puppy is STRONG - 16mg/g. Definitely a more mild 'mint' flavor than the General Mint. My only complaints about this one are that it's a little bitter and the portion is pretty wide and thin, which is both good and bad. Good because the thinness makes it nearly invisible under your lip but it's a little wide to hide under your lip. I had to take it out after a few minutes because I've been burning through these to taste them all - my head started spinning a bit after 5 minutes.

Elixyr Power Energy portion:
MMkay, it's morning, I'm at work, tired from not much sleep last night. What a perfect time to try this out. It has taurine, caffeine and some other crazy **** that's in energy drinks (guarana?) as well as a hefty portion of nicotine. I'm getting used to the flavor that I called 'soapy' in my other reivews - I think it's more of a muted lemon flavor - maybe like lemongrass - kind of nice actually. Anyway...I'm feeling much more alert now and this isn't too terrible.

All in all, I think I prefer the "mint" flavors more than the unflavored ones. General mini mint tops my list, followed by the frosted thunder, followed by Elixyr Power, then Onyx and coming in last - the jakobssons.

EDIT for reviews as I try them.

0521090001.jpg

Glad to see they're arriving. I'm starting to get suspicious. I think I ordered mine like last Monday or Tuesday. I hope to get it today. I don't think it's ever taken this long. All you guys stop ordering! I think they're catching on with all these orders!:D

I'm curious about the Lucky Strike snus. I used to like the cigs back in my brief cigarette smoking days. I thought the whole "Toasted" thing made them taste good. I also used to smoke the Dunhill, but the blue box (mild?). My all time favorite though was Silk Cut. Used to get them in Ireland, then briefly over here before the company stopped exporting them to the US for fear of all the law suits coming about. Well, we better stop talking about cigarettes before you guys fall off the wagon! (or is it "on" the wagon?:cross:)

Yeah, it took about a week for mine to arrive. Depending on where you live may have an impact on how long it takes to arrive as well. RDWHAHB in the meantime :)
-Me

Got mine today. Whew!

20 cans of General Sterk plus a gift can of Thunder Extra Stark. That one has 16 mg of nicotine! That might be a bit much for me.

Last time they sent me a free can, it was Elixir Original. It wasn't good.

Back