Anyone else dealing with smell/taste loss from COVID?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel truly sorry for anyone dealing with covid and/or the prolonged symptoms, losing my sense of smell would be devastating to me, but to be honest I've found some of the reports of "I got covid yesterday, and bourbon doesn't taste like anything. I'll finish the bottle, then try some Tequila tomorrow" quite amusing.

Like, you caught a serious disease, why are you drinking booze? ^^

Anyway, not to make fun of your disease or anything. Hope you all get better soon!

I lost most of my taste and smell 3 weeks ago thanks to Covid, beer, wine and coffee can’t taste at all but can taste Parmesan and all citrus to an extent.
still drinking as much beer as normal but with less appreciation

I got it mid January last year and was down for a couple months.. I've never felt that horrible before. Lost my taste and smell up until maybe July, then it slowly started coming back. The real rotten smells were what took the longest to come back. I'd say I'm back to 100% now being able to detect a fart 🤣

I appreciate this discussion because its hard to get any real world feedback out there. I have kind of the opposite issue right now. I have a super heightened sensitivity to sugar and salt flavors. It sounds crazy but it's like being a little kid again where everything tastes super strong. Plus food texture is just more whatever it already was. I had a small piece of chocolate that took me 3 times as long to chew through as normal. Not making this up.

I have resigned myself to the fact that it's inevitable I will get it sooner or later. If my sense of taste and smell go away, hopefully that also means a reduced appetite so I'll make the most of it and go on a diet for however long it lasts. Good time to brew up a bunch of styles that benefit from aging I guess. Without the benefit of those senses however, I'll stick to tried-and-true recipes 😜

Side note, neither my employer nor my wife's are still taking precautions seriously which is why I feel like it's just a matter of time.

I have resigned myself to the fact that it's inevitable I will get it sooner or later. If my sense of taste and smell go away, hopefully that also means a reduced appetite so I'll make the most of it and go on a diet for however long it lasts. Good time to brew up a bunch of styles that benefit from aging I guess. Without the benefit of those senses however, I'll stick to tried-and-true recipes 😜

Side note, neither my employer nor my wife's are still taking precautions seriously which is why I feel like it's just a matter of time.

I went over a year at work without getting the vaccine . My partners , medical staff and others got it left and right all around me . They forced us to get the vaccine then 3 months later I contract it . My partner now say I'm human after all lol.

I had COVID last week. I lost all taste/smell starting day 2 but it only lasted about 4 days. Not a big deal.

Most of my smell has returned now after losing completely for about 3 days.
Not sure if I am up for that JW tasting tonight. The Buckeyes made it way too interesting Saturday and I will probably need another day or three to continue my recovery.

Interesting reads here. Had the og strain back in Dec 2020 and had a fever for a day but everyone around me was sick as can be. The only effect on me was anosmia. It was very strong too. Could not smell a thing. Milk is bad? Could not tell. Something rotted? Never knew.

Smell started returning 11 months later but then at the beginning of this year, something else in the olfactory bulb came back on and is distort. All food and grain have a very strong chemical insecticide odor.

Started on zinc, alpha lipoic acid, and benfotiamine to help try and rebuild those nerves correctly and pray that one day the Lord sees it in His will to rewire them for me.

I used to take that sense for granted but when it gets distorted, things certainly change.

Double vaxxed and boosted but still got Omicron from my high schoolers. My sense of smell and taste were gone for a few days, which was disturbing, but they are coming back now. I can taste and smell my IPAs again :thumbsup:

Interesting reads here. Had the og strain back in Dec 2020 and had a fever for a day but everyone around me was sick as can be. The only effect on me was anosmia. It was very strong too. Could not smell a thing. Milk is bad? Could not tell. Something rotted? Never knew.

Smell started returning 11 months later but then at the beginning of this year, something else in the olfactory bulb came back on and is distort. All food and grain have a very strong chemical insecticide odor.

Started on zinc, alpha lipoic acid, and benfotiamine to help try and rebuild those nerves correctly and pray that one day the Lord sees it in His will to rewire them for me.

I used to take that sense for granted but when it gets distorted, things certainly change.
Yeah, I had the original strain at the beginning of '21 and it screwed up my smell long term. Dark beers have a dirty/mildew smell to them to this day, and Reese's used to be my favorite candy and now I find them slightly gross tasting. They taste like they've spoiled to me.

I had it last year (no vax) and didn't really loose sense of smell or taste, although my coffee did smell weird.....the worst part was the fatigue...never been so tired in my life, basically slept for two weeks. Wife kept waking me with food and water, she got me to drink but not eat, lost 10 pounds(don't worry, I have since found them.....)

I got covid in November with twelve other people in the office. After about five days I lost complete smell and taste. I chomped into a raw clove of garlic with no smell or taste. By the end of the first day I could smell and taste most things but oddly herbs had no taste. That lasted for about four days. Fortunately it went away before Thanksgiving which I cook for our friendsgiving and uses a lot of herb. Some of my coworkers are still battling long term symptoms of minimal smell/taste and brain fog.

I had Covid in October 2021. I had all the common symptoms including total loss of smell/ taste for 5 days. Have had a few lingering side effects off and on since, but the thing I’ve noticed recently is that cola (Coke & Pepsi) taste terrible. I prefer Pepsi (used to) when I have a choice, but now they’re awful. I haven’t noticed any other off flavors besides that.

I had Covid in Dec 2021 and one side effect I’m still dealing with is ear congestion. My ears are popping and it’s very annoying. Tried Zyrtec and pseudoephedrine and neither worked. Anyone else dealing with that? There’s no pain. It’s not a sinus infection.

Back