Breweries in San Fran

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokerlund

Reaction score
My wife and I are headed out for a no-kids getaway, the first since our 4 year old daughter was born. We are headed to San Fran on March 21-25. I wanted to visit Anchor Steam, but it is booked. I am going to keep trying and see if there are any cancellations, but I wanted to see if anybody lived out that way or frequented the area and could point me in the direction of a great brewery to visit/tour.

Thanks!

Instead of looking in SF, get a cheap rental and drive an hour north and go to Russian River. Beautiful drive and you can hit some wineries as well. My wife and I did a similar trip two years ago and the day in Sonoma was our favorite by far.

Instead of looking in SF, get a cheap rental and drive an hour north and go to Russian River. Beautiful drive and you can hit some wineries as well. My wife and I did a similar trip two years ago and the day in Sonoma was our favorite by far.
And you can stop at Lagunitas in Petaluma on the way.

Russian River would be pretty awesome. If you stay in San Fran: BeerAdvocate just did a beer destination piece on the city. I think it is in this months' magazine. You should be able to find it on their website. Gives you the good spots to check out (breweries and bars). I wish I had checked out 21st Amendment when were there.

The piece was in Issue 73

Beer Advocate San Francisco This is what is online with user reviews.

The magazine recommended: (These all appear to be bars and stores.)

Toronado
The Alembic
Zeitgeist
La Trappe
Church Key
The Abbott's Cellar
Fat Angel
Public House

City Beer Store

SF Brewcraft

I just went on a tour of several breweries with a company called "Bay Beer Bus". It was a lot of fun. They picked us up at Caltrain in San Fran and took us to pyramid for sampling beer and lunch. Then we were taken to Linden street brewery in Oakland, followed by Drake's Brewery. All the beer is included in the deal. My wife found it on groupon and it's definitely a plus that they do all the driving. When your done, they give you a free beer glass too. I highly recommend it. They always switch up which breweries they go to. Drake's was my favorite. They have a really large selection and great beer.

image-1606649346.jpg

+1 for going of to Russian River and DEFINITELY hit Lagunitas on the way up or back. Lagunitas tap house has a great atmosphere and several beers that will never make it to market but are fantastic.

Thirsty bear in downtown san fran is good. Speakeasy brewing is also good. Plenty of options in the bay area for good craft brewing and a good bartender can always steer you in the right direction

I really enjoyed stopping at 21st Amendment when I went to SF for a work trip. I stopped in on Repeal Day, so the place was packed. The beers were great, and the food was good. It's close to the Giants stadium (AT&T?).

Enjoy

+1 to the idea of getting a rental car for at least a day and hitting wine country. It's just gorgeous scenery, you can hit Russian River, Lagunitas, and Bear Republic pretty much in one shot, and if you're at all into wine, you've got little boutique wineries all over both Sonoma and Napa counties that will blow your mind.

I mean this quite seriously -- do it. If you don't, you will regret it.

Depending on your schedule and how you're setting up for hotels, it might even be worth booking a hotel up that way for one of the nights. I like SF, but if you've got 4 days, that's plenty of time to get out of the city for at least a night and still feel like you're not missing anything.

+1 to the idea of getting a rental car for at least a day and hitting wine country. It's just gorgeous scenery, you can hit Russian River, Lagunitas, and Bear Republic pretty much in one shot, and if you're at all into wine, you've got little boutique wineries all over both Sonoma and Napa counties that will blow your mind.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

Depending on your schedule and how you're setting up for hotels, it might even be worth booking a hotel up that way for one of the nights. I like SF, but if you've got 4 days, that's plenty of time to get out of the city for at least a night and still feel like you're not missing anything.

This can't be stressed enough. RR and Lagunitas are WELL worth driving to if you're going to be that close.

There's good places in the city like folks mentioned and there's some good places a bit north too. You might also want to check out Oakland/Berkeley/San Leandro too. There's Tripel Rock in Berkeley (closeby is Jupiter which is cool too) and Trumer Pilsner. There's Drakes in San Leandro (near the oakland airport), and there's Linden Street Brewery in Oakland. Also in Oakland and close to Linden Street is Beer Revolution which has awesome local and very specialty beers. Also the Trappist is very close to there too which is also a good specialty brew bar. In el cerrito there's elevation 66 too.

I had a great time at Beer Revolution and the Trappist in Oakland last time I was out there. Not a brewery, but St George's distillery in Alameda is also worth a vist.

Eventually, a brewery should be opening next door to St George's (Faction), but the brewer was having some permitting issues (his wife tends bar at 21st Amendment).

I had a great time at Beer Revolution and the Trappist in Oakland last time I was out there. Not a brewery, but St George's distillery in Alameda is also worth a vist.

Eventually, a brewery should be opening next door to St George's (Faction), but the brewer was having some permitting issues (his wife tends bar at 21st Amendment).

Ya I believe Faction will be opening up sometime this year (their twitter said they broke ground last month)... they do have brews floating around in certain spots and I saw some stuff during beer week but didnt get a chance to try it.

It's the former head brewer of Tripel rock but you probably knew that...

If you've got the time, and you're at all interested in sours or Belgians, definitely hit Russian River. As previously noted, Lagunitas is on the way from SF, as are Marin and Moylan's, and, of course, wine country. The weather's also more reliably nice, because you're a little bit inland up there.

In SF itself, 21st Amendment and Thirsty Bear aren't bad, but aren't remarkable, either; same goes for Southern Pacific. I would say Speakeasy is the best brewery in San Francisco proper, at least that you have any chance of getting into; I have to reserve judgement on Anchor, because I haven't yet successfully gotten in. Magnolia and Social Kitchen are kinda hit-and-miss; they both tend to do a lot of weird styles, which are sometimes great but often "well, OK, I checked this off my list, don't ever need to order another one again." They're also both on the small side.

Drake's, while off the beaten path for sure, makes reliably excellent "standard" beers, and generally has somewhere between two and five one-off barrel-aged and/or sour beers on. However, unlike Russian River et al, the only other stuff out by their barrel house is warehouses and train tracks.

Yes to RRBC, Lagunitas and Bear Republic.
the Anchor Brewing tour is great (30 min free beer afterwards!), it books 3 or so months in advance.
Skip Thirsty Bear & Social unless your hotel happens to be near there (not worth a special trip).
21st Amendment is good not great. Fun to go on the way before/after Giants baseball.
Magnolia in the Haight specializes in English beers with 5 or 6 hand pump cask beers in addition to 10 others.
Toronado beer bar is legendary.
Southern Pacific has a nice patio deck.
Drake's, Beer Rev, Triple Rock, Jupiter & Lindens in the East Bay are all great too.

There are seriously too many to hit in one trip. I would suggest going to each website and checking out the style/tap list and making decisions based on what you want to drink. But don't miss RRBC.

cheers.
Wendy

jwesleyclark said:
The magazine recommended: (These all appear to be bars and stores.)
Toronado
The Alembic
Zeitgeist
La Trappe
Church Key
The Abbott's Cellar
Fat Angel
Public House
City Beer Store
SF Brewcraft

All theae places are great.
SF Brewcraft is a homebrew supply shop btw.

Anything else to do in the city? We wanted a night tour of Alcatraz, but they sold out. We have Friday and Saturday open. We plan to do the wine stuff on Sunday. We are pretty low key, so we don't want to have to book things solid, we just want some relaxing and cool stuff to do/see

Back