noob kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hey so I force carbed my beer about 5 days ago. I've been drinking out of it and its been giving A LOT of head (better than no head!).

While I was drinking it last night I switched off the co2 line and I drank probably around 3 cups after. The later cups had the perfect about of head.

So my question is do I need to have the tank pumping in co2 at all times? Or just when I'm pouring? Or at all anymore?

Hope my question is clear enough, thanks!

What I usually do is force carb, then turn off the gas and bleed the keg. Then dial the gas to serving pressure (5psi or so) and let the gas go back in to the keg. That has been working well for me. What process are you following now?

what pressure is your regulator set at right now? also search around for line balancing on here. theres some info discussing the length of line needed for a given pressure in the keg to let it pour correctly. if you have too short of a line and too high of a pressure setting on your reg you may have foaming issues. you should be able to leave the co2 on all the time and let the regulator control keg pressure.

I have my beer lines at about 6 feet lengths (3/16" ID X 7/16) and I set my regulator to about 12 psi. Perfect pour every time. If your lines are similar in length and size, bleed the pressure in your keg, set the regulator to 12 psi and then try a few pours and see if it's a good head.

I have my beer lines at about 6 feet lengths (3/16" ID X 7/16) and I set my regulator to about 12 psi. Perfect pour every time. If your lines are similar in length and size, bleed the pressure in your keg, set the regulator to 12 psi and then try a few pours and see if it's a good head.

K well my hose is the same length and size. The problem with my co2 is that the regulator is all off when it's been sitting in the fridge for a while. I'll make sure to bleed it and set the pressure correctly.

Thanks guys

Back