Odell Brewing selling retired Bourbon Barrel Stout Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not use them for brewing? Is that why they're retired? No longer good?

Ah, just saw this in the comments:

Odell Brewing Co ‎@Tyler: The barrels would need to be cleaned and sanitized before you could use them.

I'm interested. Thanks for the tip!

So i picked up one of these barrels from Odell's today and started to clean it out. The next step is i need to figure out what to do with it. I figured i would post here and see what people think. If you had a retired Makers Mark Barrel Sitting in your garage, what would you do with it?

Chromados

Well it's from Early Times Distillery and not Makers Mark, but a barrel none the less. This is what I do with them. I just got an order for 15 more of them.

4880062120_e9c5d73927_b.jpg

The Elevator Brewing Co. ages their Horny Goat Porter in them and then I turn them into their store displays. You could use them to age beer in if they've been stored properly, which they probably weren't. You gonna get flavors from everything that was stored in that barrel including the last beer. When I cut into them it smells like heaven! Occasionally they are pretty moldy though. The staves are about 1" thick and the bourbon can be soaked in about 1/2"!

Back