Planning a Trip to San Francisco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Planning a trip to SF in April....let the thread begin...I want options. Give me the brewries I have to check out. Obviously I assume Anchor Steam, what else?

Trumer in Berkeley is cool, they only tour on monday though, and only have one beer to taste at the end.

If you luck out and end up here on a warm day, their watermelon wheat is the perfect pre/post Giants game beer, too...

That's how I discovered 21st; before a Giants game last year. I got the IIPA and my wife got the watermelon wheat. I didn't care for it just because the watermelon was a little offputting, but all the ladies seemed to like it.

I think I'm def. going to check out 21st. Anyone go on the Anchor tour/tasting? Is it worth the 2 hours or would I be better off going to Rougue or 21st and knocking back a few while enjoying some succulent side dishes?

Speakeasy Brewery
Toronado Pub
Magnolia Pub and Brewery
Across the bridge == Russian River - Lagunita's - Bear Republic. You will need to do a bit of driving.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=san+francisco+breweries&sll=36.990682,-121.945311&sspn=0.008072,0.013754&ie=UTF8&hq=breweries&hnear=San+Francisco,+CA&ll=37.761758,-122.443657&spn=0.121053,0.22007&z=12"]Google Map[/ame]

Any other thoughts on this? I'm a little disapointed....21st does not currently have their watermelon wheat on tap nore their traditional IPA. In fact the IPA they have is rather small. I leave tomorrow should I still check them out or should I consider some other stops?

Speakeasy Brewery
Toronado Pub
Magnolia Pub and Brewery

These three in SF. I live not far from the last two and go to both of them as often as SWMBO will let me.

Toronado will have lots of beers you haven't seen or tried before, most excellent. They have a lot of big beers on draft right now. Happy hour is very cheap.

Magnolia has lots of great cask-conditioned beers, plus the food is really good. The only place I know where you can get a Mild on draft (they have 2 of them!).

I've never been to Speakeasy, but it's supposed to be really fun. It's a little out of the way, though (i.e. only go if you have a car).

Enjoy!

Thought I would give an update:

First what a great city! Second, only made it to the Rogue pub house, but WOW it was great!!! I've had Rogue before, but on tap there in SF it was the best I've ever had from them. Also, they had everything on tap...I even got to try the 21st Amendment watermelon wheat - which actually I didn't care for all that much.

Back