what do you say when friends offer BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
Let me first preface this by saying I DO NOT discriminate against other by what type of beer they drink. When possible I like to talk about the types I like, and give friends who have never sampled homebrew a taste of our world. I am a beer snob but I keep my opionions of ****ty beer to myself.

I cannot however bring MYSELF to drink products from BMC any longer at least on a regular basis. If someone offers me a BMC product at their home what are some of the typical responces you all give to them without sounding rude.

I have been using "No thanks man Im not really thirsty."

I'll usually have what's being had. One thing that has helped my mindset in drinking BMC is that it's an excellent example of a terrible style!
One thing I've noticed since I have become educated in the ways of beer is that I don't really go for the hard stuff like I used to.

I say "Sure, thanks". I still like a lot of BMC products. I really like MGD and think it's a fine American beer that I'm sometimes really in the mood to drink. I also like High Life or an Old Style from time to time. Tonight, my best friend is bringing over a couple of 40's of Old English to wash down the burgers I'm cooking up for football.

When I have some good stuff on tap I offer it to them, but I don't expect them to buy expensive beer when they like the cheap stuff.

OK I agree w/ both of you to a point. I will drink all AB products except Bud Lite. It gives me a stomach ache..really. I love amber bock, and nothing beats an Ice cold Budweiser after work. I will drink Miller Lite if its the last thing in the fridge but I almost woudl rather not. It might sound strange but I will always throw back Natural Ice and Natty Lite, in fact Natural Ice out of the keg tastes exactly like Budweiser to me.

Football and 40's......drooooool. To bad we cant get them here in FL

Hell--- I still buy some national products fromt ime to time. None of the beers I make are really good 'I got done mowing the lawn and think I'll chug a couple beers while I talk to the neighbor' kind of beers.

If someone hands me a Miller Lite, I say thank you and will drink quite a few of them. I need to be in the mood for a big beer, which is probably why most of the beers I make are designed towards sessions.

I will turn down light beers. If they are straight out an ice chest I could drink one quick but once they get slightly warm they suck. If I am offered a regular BMC I'll take it as long as it is cold also. Im not offended by American lagers.

I drink whats handed to me with a smile. After all the person didn't have to give me one at all and on the next round I get something I like and try to "educate" my friend in the better beers.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Do brain injuries inhibit shift-key use?

no... but watching football in my big fat leather chair with an unhealthy snack in my lap forces me to type with one hand. just be happy i use proper punctuation.

Woul You Prefer If I Typed Like This Instead?

edit: that was supposed to be all caps, but the forum's idiot filter fixed it. :)

I love BMC as long as it is a Miller product. I've been killing some MGD lately.

I have Stone IPA tonight though. Just got done eating some wings and now I'm settled down on the recliner for football. FINALLY.

Pretty much, I'll drink any beer offered to me if I'm in a beer drinking mood. All cold beer is good - some are just better than others.

Come Sunday I'll be buying a 12er of High Life. It's ritual as it's Football Season!!! :rockin:

I'll say thank you. Anyone who offers me a beer is OK, sorry, while I prefer other beers(and notice I did not say better:D ) I'm not one to harp on people about what they drink. I'll offer mine to my friends and if they like them fine, but I won't criticize someone else's taste since I don't like people doing that to me.:tank:

When someone offers me a BMC, I say, "No thanks, I'd rather have a beer!"

BA-DOOM-CHA

But seriously, I'll take it and drink it. It doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't have much of a taste at all, so I'll drink it!

Good Point. I don't criticize others taste, I wouldn't want them doing that to me. They might think I'm stupid for spending more money and time to make bitter dark beer. To each his own.

If somebody offers me a beer I ask what they have on hand. If possible I stay away from anything light unless its hot as a mofo. I prefer regular Bud. - In a bottle. - I really hate cans.

The Bud preference comes from 4 years in the Marine Corps. Anheuser-Busch sent a ton of it to Lebanon in 1984. Its considered a staple to the USMC. :cross:

Ok, so let me get this straight. Your offered a beer...a FREE beer? I gladly accept all forms of free beer.

I might grumble a bit and drink quite a few but I try to dissect why this particular BMC sucks so bad. And try to figure out why so many people like it. Gotta be the marketing.

Right now I JUST finished a DFH60 and am contemplating either a Lakefront O'Fest or a Racer 5...

I never go to any untested beer drinking event un-prepared. There are many different circumstances, so my approach depends on my familiarity with the situation:

Naturally, If it's someone I know will have good beer (homebrewed or the good store-bought stuff), I will drink anything. I usually don't need to bring my own, but sometimes I'll take some homebrew of course.

If it's someone who's idea of "the good stuff" is Bud over Bud Lite, then I bring a decent mass-produced beer like Yeunling or Killians, so I won't appear as too much a beer snob. After all, it's only polite to contribute to the host's beer holdings when you're a guest. Maybe you can convince him to upgrade.

If it's someone who's tastes I don't know at all, I'll bring a mix of good stuff - Sierra Nevada, etc - and high-end mass produced - Killians. And always enough to leave some behind. Again, I do so under the impression that it's only polite to leave a little behind for the host.

If I get offered a beer by the neighbor over the backyard fence, I say Yes and politely drink whatever he offers, but only one if it's anything but Budweiser.

I grew up on regular budweiser in a can, so when it comes to just plain old refreshing beer on a hot day, I still fall back to that. Besides, I'm loyal and I figure since my parents put some AB employee's kid through college, he might have a kid of his own by now and that kid deserves a fighting chance, too. Just doing my part.

focus

I drink BMC (or worse) so seldom that it's almost a novelty to have one. When I make my own, it's usually something much more flavorful, less carbonated, and served around 50F. That's just what I like. But having a Bud or Natty Light really brings back some funny memories, of college mostly.

Interestingly, I had two 40s of OE last fall when my old high school buddy came out from Texas for a reunion. We wanted to preparty and he insisted on buying the beer. I have to admit...OE was pretty tasty! I was surprised. Good on them, for making a beer that ex-seminarians AND gangsta rappers can both enjoy.

monk

Monk said:
I have to admit...OE was pretty tasty! I was surprised. Good on them, for making a beer that ex-seminarians AND gangsta rappers can both enjoy.

monk

OMG, that was damned funny

kornkob said:
Hell--- I still buy some national products fromt ime to time. None of the beers I make are really good 'I got done mowing the lawn and think I'll chug a couple beers while I talk to the neighbor' kind of beers.

Me and my neighbor worked hard in the yard the other day and when finished he offered me a cold one (Bud light). To be honest that first chug was real good on a hot day after a hard few hours of work. I prefer craft brew and my own but I don't turn anything away. I have to admit that by the second or third sip that Bud sucked but I don't hold that against it....I just drink it and that's it.
On the other hand he liked my first batch and I just gave him a bottle of my second (an IPA) with a warning that it's more bitter than his usual BMC. He says he's not picky and drinks anything.

As kornkob says, some craft or home made ales are more sipping beers rather than a guzzler on a hot day after hard work.
My two home brews so far have been in between.

Tommy

I'll never forget one day when I lived in Montreal it was hot. I can't remember what I was doing, probably moving a friend's furniture or something.

It was HOT HOT HOT and by the end of the day I was hot, tired, and thirsty.

I got home and opened a St. Ambroise Blonde Ale and man.. that baby went down so nice and smooth I remember it 12 years on.

I think there are craft and micros that have nice flavor and go down just as nicely as anything BMC can produce.

Hmmm.. it just occured to me that I just said a blonde went down easy.. tee hee!:ban:

Orpheus said:
Hmmm.. it just occured to me that I just said a blonde went down easy.. tee hee!:ban:

Kinda reminds me of the honeymoon my (blondish) wife and I took in Montreal three years ago. Unfortunately, the honeymoon's over!

Some Anhaeuser-Busch rep offered my table a free bottle of Bud or Bud Light at happy hour last night (no one was drinking either of them at the time). Since I was there for only 1 beer and my wallet was empty I accepted an aluminum bottle of Bud Light. I almost turned it down but I knew I would be labeled a beer snob so I caved in. I choked it down and left. I'm so ashamed.... :(

None of my friends drink BMC. I think this is because of our age. We're all in our mid 20s. Wide availability of good beer has been a fact of life as long as we've been drinking. If you spent 20 years drinking BMC, I can understand getting used to it and not liking more flavorful stuff. The first beer I ever had was the local Pils in Freiburg, Germany on a school trip. The first beer I drank on a regular basis was Bass, in college at 18. I expanded to a wide range of imports and craft brews over the rest of college. I didn't have a BMC until I was at a basebal game at 21.

I had an interesting conversation about this in a bar recently with an Ultimate Frisbee teammate. We were discussing the beer selection. They had one tap of BMC, and the rest a range of good stuff, the least of which was probably Sam Adams. He pointed out that back when he was in college(he's 37 now), everything was BMC or BMC like beers. The best thing generally available was Heineken. Whereas, as long as I've been of legal age, I've been able to walk into a random bar and find something good. The local dive across the street from my college apartment had a few BMC taps along with Guinness, Bass, SNPA, Sam Adams Boston Lager and seasonal, and a few others.

jar said:
None of my friends drink BMC. I think this is because of our age.

Economic status tends to have the largest impact on one's 'first contact' with beer in the US (with some exceptions, to be sure) and one's first regularly drank beer tends to build brand loyalty, especially if the brand has hooked several in the same community.

After all, if you're in your early 20s and are making $8 an hour and raising 2 kids, how many craft brews do you think you're going to get exposed to as opposed to, say Busch light? And if your daddy drank busch and you drink busch, odds are your boy probably will too.

When you see drunken chicks flashing their boobies at Mardi Gras, they aren't holding pints of Sam Adams. BMC's here, that's fine, doesn't bother me a bit. It's great if you were exposed to *good* beer when you were young, but when I was a teenage making $5 an hour, if we wanted to get drunk we needed to buy something cheap (gotta *tip* the guy making the purchase ;)). And when you're a kid, it's all about getting drunk.

I remember when I was young I drank several beers that had taste...

....unfortunately the taste was aweful.

Many in quarts; Heffenreffer's Private Stock, Colt 45, Olde English...

Canned; Schmidts, Schaffers, Black Label, Hudipul, Milwaukee's Best, Meister Brau, Pabst.

Money & desparation can dictate taste. I once cashed in over $8 worth of pennies for a case of Black Label. :cross:

When I was young the "wealthier crowd" drank BMC. I remember when Lowenbrau was top shelf.

How many of you remember Hamms, Strohs, and Pabst?

Compared to the old swill brands BMC might be pretty good.

Back