Off Flavor When Kegging Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagatelife

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, brand new to the site! I have read many articles, but this is my first post!

Anyway, I have been focused on homebrew sours for the past year now and produced 25 different batches (most 1 gallon in size). I have done about 40% wild collections from the yard and 60% from bottle dredges.

I recently made a batch using Fuzzy dredges (it was the third round using this strain and it is getting pretty sour). It has a non-descript malt profile (LME/DME) and I added apricots, nectarines and peaches. All fruit was fresh though I also added some dried nectarines. Any way, I put the beer on tap on my kegerator and it developed this green pepper note in the nose and also a bit in the mouth. Needless to say it really put a damper on the beer. It did fade a little bit after a few weeks, but is still there. I pulled it off and put it in the basement to age some more.

I already had a second large batch started that I planned to put on tap. This batch used dredges mostly from Cantillon bottles. This is the second time running this strain. Same as before, non-descript malts, and I put this batch on passionfruit. I had it on tap and tried it fairly immediate and was happy. Again, about 4 days later, more green pepper!

Any ideas as to what could possibly be causing this? I do have bottles of both, neither are ready, but I am 95% sure that this seems to be isolated to the kegging system

Other notes: I have bottled probably 120 sours in the past (including ones using the same yeast strains) and never got this green pepper note. I also clean the tap lines between each beer.

Hey Everyone, brand new to the site! I have read many articles, but this is my first post!

Anyway, I have been focused on homebrew sours for the past year now and produced 25 different batches (most 1 gallon in size). I have done about 40% wild collections from the yard and 60% from bottle dredges.

I recently made a batch using Fuzzy dredges (it was the third round using this strain and it is getting pretty sour). It has a non-descript malt profile (LME/DME) and I added apricots, nectarines and peaches. All fruit was fresh though I also added some dried nectarines. Any way, I put the beer on tap on my kegerator and it developed this green pepper note in the nose and also a bit in the mouth. Needless to say it really put a damper on the beer. It did fade a little bit after a few weeks, but is still there. I pulled it off and put it in the basement to age some more.

I already had a second large batch started that I planned to put on tap. This batch used dredges mostly from Cantillon bottles. This is the second time running this strain. Same as before, non-descript malts, and I put this batch on passionfruit. I had it on tap and tried it fairly immediate and was happy. Again, about 4 days later, more green pepper!

Any ideas as to what could possibly be causing this? I do have bottles of both, neither are ready, but I am 95% sure that this seems to be isolated to the kegging system

Only time I've gotten a green (bell) pepper note is when I've dry hopped with Equinox hops. I love dry hopped sours! Curious to see what others have to say.

Only time I've gotten a green (bell) pepper note is when I've dry hopped with Equinox hops. I love dry hopped sours! Curious to see what others have to say.

That is funny because I know I remember tasting it in a sour one other time, but I cannot recall which one.

I have only done one dry hopped sour and it was probably one of my favorite beers that I have ever made. Lots more of that happening in the future :mug:

Maybe you had an unexpected extra in the fruit?

I was really hoping that was the case, but now that it showed up in 2 different batches with 2 different fruits I have to eliminate that. Any way you can get off flavors from the CO2? Maybe my lines need to be changed?

Well through trials and tribulations, I was able to narrow this down to the tapline itself. I ended up replacing the line that runs from the keg to the tapper and that has fixed my problem.

I actually had a pepper stout on 12 months ago, surprising that I would have just noted the flavor now. Also had a nice BA Scotch that could have imparted some flavors.

Anyway, problem solved!

Glad to hear your problem is solved.. I was gonna ask, did you by any chance eat some green peppers before trying each beer on tap? Maybe there was still some pepper caught in your teeth... Joking.

Back