Noob's Chilli Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenGeek

Reaction score
Hey All,

For my second batch ever,

Coopers 'Real Ale' a'la kit.

I decided to skimp out on the recommended kilo of dextrose and just threw in a kilo of raw sugar instead. Right before I slammed the lid on, I also dumped half a bottle of tobasco into the wort.

Only after this spur of the moment decision did i decide to learn anything about how to make chilli beer and found out this is highly frowned upon.

On the other hand,

OG 1040+
FG 1004 (for three days in a row, not officially final as it's staying in the primary for another week, but I'm not expecting any change.)

Fermentation seems to have gone well, and it tastes great!
There's a good back bite and a lot of flavour, it just needs something more towards the front of the palate. But considering I had no idea what I was doing, everything went well.

If I can just get it to carbonate this time I'll be set :mug:

PS: Next time I'm probably going to throw in 3-5 jalepenos after primary fermentation is done, and let it steep in the extended primary for the remainder of the three weeks (about two, I'd say)

Nice! I like chili beer as long as chili isn't the only flavor that comes through. A member of our club made a batch that was nothing but heat but I have had it where it was just a nice flavor on the back end and it was great.

Yeah, this is definately a beer first, slightly warm in the back of the throat, and then a little bit of chilli aftertaste.

I want to do a proper chilli beer after I get some more experience. From What I read here dryhopping into the secondary is reccommended. Since I plan on doing extended primaries, I'll just throw 3-5 jalepenos in after the first week, and let it sit for another two.

I might even try capscium (bell peppers in the US?) to punch up the flavour without making it too hot.

That sounds amazing

If you ever give it a go - swing me the recipe. Probably beyond by grasp at the moment, but it sounds like something to work towards.

I would love to hear more about this as well. I have some wicked peppers growing in the garden as we speak. Perhaps a dryhop method for 2 weeks? Anyone have any ideas.

Cheers

i added two jalapenos to 2.5 gallons of pale ale when moving to secondary. the other 2.5 of the 5.0 stayed regular. the jalapeno pale is great. the smell comes out of the glass, you taste the pepper along with the pale, and no spiciness lingers. so i would say 4 peppers with seeds in a 5 gallon batch.

Back