Same recipe; different results...?.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
I made my second batch of cider using the same inputs (bottled juice, canned concentrate to raise gravity to 1.060ish, and Wyeast 3068) and ended up with a very tart cider unlike the first batch I made. It's good but in a granny smith way rather than a johnathin apple way.

The yeast went apes**t on this batch and boiled out of the air lock (full of starsan) causing all kinds of crazy/nasty growth on the outside of my carboy but it was always positive so I don't think it got infected... FG was 1.010 so there is some sugar left in it also leading me to think that it is free of infection.

Now I think I didn't let the first batch ferment out to dry. What do you guys think I should consider?

Thanks!

Did you change brands? Was there a difference in the acid content of the FAJC? I've seen a couple brands of juice that have increased the added ascorbic lately. Might be the apples themselves, maybe the company changed the blend or orchard where they get their apples/juice. Was there a difference in fermentation temps?

EC-1118 should take any cider bone dry. Are you using yeast nutrient? Was there a PH difference? Just a few things to consider.
Regards, GF.

Fermentation temperature can also cause a huge difference in taste. I'm guessing this last batch was a lot warmer due to the summer or do you control this in some way?

If temp affects fermentation and taste will aging bring the different tastes closer together?

Wyeast 3068 is known for creating a bit more acidity when allowed to finish further to dryness (and loses some of the esters and phenolics at the same time... the banana and clove flavors 3068 is known for) ... and it seems to be even more so with pitch rate as well.

Next time try cutting your pitch rate to half as much yeast ... not in a starter ... and keep the ferment temp at between 68* to no higher than 75* . Then, stop at 1.020 ... crash for a few days, and rack off the yeast lees.

There are other conceivable reasons for the acidity, but I really think it was just the 3068.

This was pitched onto the yeast cake of the first batch with the same juice as before. The yeast starter (if you will) was monster. I did not check the PH so I don't have an answer for that.. Fermented in my basement on the floor which was probably 67 through the majority of activity. It did sit there for a couple months before I did anything with it.

Nice and clear!

Back