Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein

And here is a link to Possman's, one of the brands of Apfelwein that is actually exported..

http://www.possmann.com/products.html

That doesn't really answer my question. It doesn't show what is "German" about apfelwein other than the name... it still just seems like a cider recipe. I'm just trying to see why one would call something "apfelwein" instead of just cider. What are the defining characteristics?

Did you EVEN READ THE FIRST PAGE of this thread???

How does it taste?
It ferments quite dry. Some people have tried different yeasts in order to achieve a sweeter taste. It may take you a few glasses to get a feel for the flavor. It is very reminiscent of a sort of apfelwein produced locally in Germany. There really is no comparable product in the United States. It's drier and less sweet than commercial hard ciders. It gets better with age and at 6+ months, the apple flavor really comes out.

What is the difference between Apfelwein and hard cider?
EdWort says, “Most ciders are a bit sweeter. Ciders and Apfelwein are about 6% abv, but I like the little boost I give it with 2 pounds of Dextrose. It adds no body or flavor and still tastes like Possmann's Apfelwein, only it will kick your butt much quicker.”

It is a CIDER, but, for Ed Wort, reminiscent of the TYPE OF CIDER sold in Germany as Apfelwein. Feel free to call yours whatever you want.

It probably won't get quite as low, since yeast don't ferment fructose (half of sucrose, table sugar) quite as efficiently as glucose (aka dextrose, corn sugar). If it's been at 1.008 for a full week, it's probably done, but it'll taste a whole lot better if you leave it for a few more months before bottling (if you can stand it). My last batch was with table sugar, and I gave it 5 months in primary, and it came out awesome.

im probably going to let it sit for 2 more weeks if the fg doesn't change cause i don't have the time to bottle i don't think i can go 5 months.....but the samples tasted great so far. next batch will use corn sugar and i want to get it started as soon as i bottle so that one can sit longer.

Mine's been in the keg now for about three weeks, after a five week fermentation. Carbonation is now absolutely fantastic (seemed to take longer to carb up than beer, for some reason), and it's tasting a lot crisper. I'm very tempted to take it off the tap, and just let it sit in the keezer for a few months to mature, then retap it. My wife's really not digging it at all (it was made for her, I'm not a big cider fan) but I'm certainly noticing a progression in flavour, even this early on. Her description is "It doesn't taste like cider. It tastes like slightly apple flavored sparking wine." I'm guessing she's more a fan of the sweeter Woodchuck-esque type dealie.

Methinks that come August, when it's a lot warmer out, this'll be just the thing.

I now have my second batch of this stuff sitting in a carboy. It's been 1 month and I figure I may as well let it sit another month or two before I bottle it because I still have a ton of the original batch in bottles. Is it safe to assume that after 3 months in a carboy, the yeast will still be able to carbonate the bottles or should I consider adding more yeast at bottling? Also, I could not find info on Red Star MOntrachet yeast anywhere on the internet. What is its recommended fermentation temperature range? Mine sat at 65-70F for most of the past month but last week the inside of my house hit atleast 80F with more heat waves definitely coming in the next 2 months. Does a temp of 80F+ cause any problems with this stuff?

Her description is "It doesn't taste like cider. It tastes like slightly apple flavored sparking wine." I'm guessing she's more a fan of the sweeter Woodchuck-esque type dealie.
I think her description is pretty accurate. Funny thing, my wife who is not a fan of dry white wines, really likes it, despite its being a dry white wine (albeit a slightly apple flavored sparkling one).

This is my first attempt. Depending on how it tastes when it comes out, I'm thinking of adding something to give it a taste closer to the Hornsby's sour apple. The ideas I came up with were sour apple pucker and sour apple snow cone syrup. Either would require tablets to kill of the yeast first. Adding more ABV with the pucker might be overkill though.

coming along nicely; exactly two weeks since I mixed up my first batch. OG=1.058; today's sample came in at .994. It is still bubbling every 2-3 minutes!

That doesn't really answer my question. It doesn't show what is "German" about apfelwein other than the name... it still just seems like a cider recipe. I'm just trying to see why one would call something "apfelwein" instead of just cider. What are the defining characteristics?

Because it tastes just like Apfelwein from Germany, that's why.

Wow, I just saw this thread now.....

What do you think about possibly throwing some spice, like cinnamon, in the fermenter? Also, do you prime when you bottle this stuff? I think if I make some now, it could be a very "interesting" thanksgiving at my house this year!!

just kegged my 1st batch and had a few Qs.

1 - I forgot to take the OG when I started - what is the average OG or a range of what it started so I can approximate ABV based on my FG of .998

2 - I kegged the batch but almost want to cask age it for another month or two so I can have it on tap in my bar in Aug/Sept - I blasted it 3 times at 25 PSI but can I leave it disconnected from constant CO2 - and then 2 weeks before I want to put it on tap hook it up and force carb it? What PSI should I force carb at (for 2 weeks)?

THANKS!

2 - I kegged the batch but almost want to cask age it for another month or two so I can have it on tap in my bar in Aug/Sept - I blasted it 3 times at 25 PSI but can I leave it disconnected from constant CO2 - and then 2 weeks before I want to put it on tap hook it up and force carb it? What PSI should I force carb at (for 2 weeks)?

Anyone able to help?!?

just kegged my 1st batch and had a few Qs.

1 - I forgot to take the OG when I started - what is the average OG or a range of what it started so I can approximate ABV based on my FG of .998

THANKS!

I can't remember if I even took an OG, but mine, as per recipe, ended up at about 9 percent with a FG of .99.

I bottled what I had remaining in the keg. I conditioned the keg with priming sugar. I would think that 12 PSI for 2 weeks would give you the nice bubbly you're after. That's at 40 F., though. I think you can leave it to age in the keg, as long as you get a good seal.

Started my first batch today. I followed the recipe in the OP pretty closely but sub'ed Apple Cider instead of juice. I compared the juice/cider bottle labels and thought they looked really similar, so I went with the cider base because the grocery had it in 1gal containers. That was Easy. I did not take an OG rating, but I'm pretty sure it will make beer/wine. I bought an extra yeast packet from the LHBS and I have another empty 6gal carboy so I may try another batch using a different juice from the apple juice aisle of the grocery.

How come you don't have to boil the dextrose? doesn't it have bacteria? i'm not reading 503 pages!!! has this been covered?

How come you don't have to boil the dextrose? doesn't it have bacteria? i'm not reading 503 pages!!! has this been covered?

Somebody please correct me if I am remembering wrong (it's been a long thread), but I think I read earlier that bacteria survive on pure sugar.

I also have a quick question. Walmart had store brand apple juice on sale (3 quart containers for $1.50). I noticed that there were two store bands, one from concentrate, and one that wasn't from concentrate but had Maltodextrin (Soluble Dietary Fiber). I went with the from concentrate since I had no clue about Maltodextrin (and I don't think that version was on sale)... would Maltodextrin have an effect on apfelwein?

^^^ +1

My first batch of apfelwein was made with this very juice. I used a different juice for my second batch, and it tastes more like jet fuel than apfelwein.

I have no idea what the maltodextrin would do.

glenn514:mug:

--I've made quite a few batches now(around 15- 6 gallon batches) and have pitched on the old cake once and it was the same as any others.
--I ran short on corn sugar once and eyeballed some regular table sugar making sure to error on the side of more not less. This batch had some heat and wasn't as smooth.
--I've only got it aged 2 months for the keg and it's wonderful young and fresh and even better aged.
--When I drink only apfelwein, no beer or spirits, the hangovers are minimal if any.
--Kegging is the only way to go.
--The 1.50 great value 96 ozers are the best way to make this for cheap with no difference that I can tell between tree top and other brands I've tried.
--The bars say they miss me but I still stop by for their food specials. Besides I am 50 yards from the Pacific Ocean and can see it from every room and the bars can't compete with that or the kegged Apfelwein!

Ed really needs to add some things to the FAQ up front from this page alone:

priming needed for bottling?
force carb psi recommendations?

All I can say is once again I have drank too much Apfelwein.

Ed you are still the man!!

My hats off to you.

Somebody please correct me if I am remembering wrong (it's been a long thread), but I think I read earlier that bacteria survive on pure sugar.

so isn't that more reason to boil the sugar? Won't it contaminate? This is throwing my golden rule out the window... can someone please clarify? Don't you boil dextrose for priming? wouldn't it be a bigger deal pre-fermentation?

:drunk:

That batch I put together on Friday is going crazy! I filled my 5 gallon better bottle up to just below the neck and ended up pulling some off because it was foaming up. This morning all was looking good but this evening my airlock was full of foam so I pulled some more off. I thought the Montrachet yeast wasn't supposed to krausen like that?

Ed really needs to add some things to the FAQ up front from this page alone:

priming needed for bottling?
force carb psi recommendations?

It's listed in the recipe.

If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.

As far a force carbing, again its the same as beer unless you want more bubbles, but then it's a choice.

It's been a while, so I guess it would be time for a revision to add some more FAQs. Thanks for the prod. :mug:

so isn't that more reason to boil the sugar? Won't it contaminate? This is throwing my golden rule out the window... can someone please clarify? Don't you boil dextrose for priming? wouldn't it be a bigger deal pre-fermentation?

:drunk:

Since they started counting, over 17,000 gallons of Apfelwein have been fermented using this no boil procedure.

If I were to use dextrose for priming, I would probably boil my water, then add the sugar to dissolve, let cool, pour into bottling bucket, then rack my Apfelwein on top and then giving it a gentle stir before bottling with a sanitized spoon.

I force carb mine though at 12 psi.

Since they started counting, over 17,000 gallons of Apfelwein have been fermented using this no boil procedure.

If I were to use dextrose for priming, I would probably boil my water, then add the sugar to dissolve, let cool, pour into bottling bucket, then rack my Apfelwein on top and then giving it a gentle stir before bottling with a sanitized spoon.

I force carb mine though at 12 psi.

make that 17,005

Add another 5 gallons I made from fresh-pressed apples in the fall.

Question: If I want to sweeten this before kegging, what would you suggest? I thought of using a can of frozen apple juice concentrate. I could stabilize with wine stabilizer and force carbonate. Your thoughts?

To atone for my snarky commnet:

There are numerous ways to backsweeten, each with risks/rewards. What you propose to do is the safest way vis-a-vis bottle bombs and it is effective.

Traditionally Aepfelwein is fermented completely dry. The juice of the berries from a rowan tree are added to the best Weine because it adds a tart astringency and is a traditional inclusion. They only add to about 1-3%. I am looking for any producers of rowanberry juice in the US so that I can make the top of the line stuff. I may have to substitute crabapple or quince juice if I can find them.

There is a sweeter form of Aepfelwein (called Rauscher) that is served prior to the cessation of fermentation. The juice is cold-stabilized to stop fermentation and is, of course, sweet and of low abv.
There are now Aepfelwein products being marketed in Germany which combine it with Coke or Fanta,etc. to give it more sweetness.
Most commercial pear-ciders in the US are simply hard apple cider with pear concentrate added to it.

Just cracked open a bottle of this that I made a year ago. Wow. If you have the patience, brew 5 gallons of this, bottle it, then put it somewhere and forget about it for a year. Incredible IMO. Everybody that tried couldn't believe that I made it. It's a totally different wine than what it was 9 months ago. Thanks Ed for this awesome recipe!!!

Just cracked open a bottle of this that I made a year ago. Wow. If you have the patience, brew 5 gallons of this, bottle it, then put it somewhere and forget about it for a year. Incredible IMO. Everybody that tried couldn't believe that I made it. It's a totally different wine than what it was 9 months ago. Thanks Ed for this awesome recipe!!!

Mine isnt looking like it will make it past one month in bottles. LOL My wife thought it was way too dry at first and refused to even sample and has grown to love it after 2 weeks in the bottle. She had 2 last night, 2 today; and she is someone who RARELY drinks. Right now the dryness has mellowed a little and the apple flavor is barely peeking out.

I have batch 2 1/2 through ferment - and already plans for a third batch. I can't imagine how fast she will be gulping these if they taste any better!

Ok, I was trying to search but couldn't really find a specific answer.

I absoutely hate Woodchuck, but Strongbow seems to be a perfect medium between super dry fruit wines and super sugary Woodchuck.

Say I wanted something in the Strongbow realm of taste. Would it be better to use the Montrachet yeast or a beer yeast like Nottingham or WLP001? Or backsweeten with Splenda when adding the priming sugar to bottle carb?

I'm thinking going for Notty, but not sure if I'm going from one realm to another (too dry for me to overly sweet).

Thanks guys! :mug::mug:

Ok, I was trying to search but couldn't really find a specific answer.

I absoutely hate Woodchuck, but Strongbow seems to be a perfect medium between super dry fruit wines and super sugary Woodchuck.

Say I wanted something in the Strongbow realm of taste. Would it be better to use the Montrachet yeast or a beer yeast like Nottingham or WLP001? Or backsweeten with Splenda when adding the priming sugar to bottle carb?

I'm thinking going for Notty, but not sure if I'm going from one realm to another (too dry for me to overly sweet).

Thanks guys! :mug::mug:

If you've got some smaller containers that you could ferment in, you could try a couple things and see; a packet of Nottingham is like $1, and Montrachet is like $0.60. I'd go with the Montrachet, since I don't think it comes out overly dry. My last batch finished at about 0.998, using table sugar instead of dextrose.

Actually, you might want to try a different sugar instead; dextrose is not very sweet, so if you replace it with table sugar then you'll get a little more sweetness from the residual sugar that the yeast don't consume. The only off-flavor that might be imparted is described as "cidery," so I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back