primary and secondary fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me preface by saying that I dont think a secondary is necessary in the majority of beers.
A secondary is used to transfer beer from the primary in order to get it off the trub and stop fermentation...in my opinion a secondary is needed for aging beers longer than 3 weeks or for racking fruit beers away from the fruit.
Here is why I dont use a secondary....in the primary the beer goes thru the fermentation (in general) over a two period, after that the yeast continue to work (although very slowly) consuming heavier sugars and byproducts left over from the fermentation process...so racking at this point would prevent this from happening.
As for new brewers I would never recommend a secondary, because there in-experience at this stage of the process could allow them to completely ruin there beer...in addition I cant tell you how many topics I have read were a new brewers beer did not finish fermenting...so the advice I always give is leave it for 3 weeks!

I secondary when dry hopping and that's about it. You can dry hop in the primary though.

I just bottled a Kolsch that was in the primary for 6 weeks. It was crystal clear and tasted great.

Why not?
- Because it isn't really necessary. In most cases it won't make your beer better.
- It beneficial to keep the beer on the yeast cake throughout fermentation

Why?
- Long term aging. There have been experienced brewers here that have let beer sit in the primary for 3+ months and have not had issues.
- Adding adjuncts or dry hopping
- The kit you bought came with a large and a small fermenter. You need the large fermenter for your next batch.

SEARCH BUTTON

this has been asked and answered on here.

both schools of thought are presented here and both do the job. it is personal choice. i have used them but i don't anymore.

Of the 19 brews I have done I only transfered to a secondary twice. Bot time only because I need the fermenter to do another brew. I have since resolved that by getting more fermenters. I even dry hop right in the primary.

Back