What's a good 1st lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
With the colder months approaching (and in WI that means soon!), I figure I can ferment my ales in the basement and still hit mid 60's (at least I could last year). Which leaves my fermenting fridge open for lagers. I have never tried one and am ambitious to do so. I'm not a fan of pilsners, or super light beers. If anyone has a good suggestion for a first lager, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks!
:mug:

A traditional Octoberfest or Helles Maibock if you like the lighter Octoberfest bier. Maybe a German Vienna if that is to your liking. Use a Bock liquid yeast.

What is your batch size?

I ask because I regularly brew 10 gallons and, lately, have pitched a lager yeast to one half and have made some really surprising and tastey lagers.

Most recently I made a Simcoe/Columbus IPA (~1.070/~65 IBU) batch. Pitched S-23 and lagered at 54*F. The resultant beer is heavenly.

I can do 10 gallon batches. Vienna sounds yummy!! That's one of my favorite styles. Maibock is a good choice, too. Know any good recipes for either?

I can do 10 gallon batches. Vienna sounds yummy!! That's one of my favorite styles. Maibock is a good choice, too. Know any good recipes for either?

I have some Maibock recipes, both AG and extract. I tried Kaiser's Maibock recipe last fall, and highly recommend it. It would be a true German maibock.

I did BierMuncher's Helles Belles as a lager and it floated in 2.5 weeks which is a record, it was freakin' awesome, tasted just like a Spaten clone without the skunk.

If you want something stronger I would go Maibock, or a good Doppelbock for winter.

I brewed lagers last winter for the first time. I did:
Bohemian Pilsner
Classic American Pilsner
Maibock
Doppelbock
Veinna

The Maibock turned out the best BY FAR (and I lost half of it to oxidation :( ). My Vienna wasn't very malty and my doppelbock is too hoppy. Go figure.

What is your batch size?

I ask because I regularly brew 10 gallons and, lately, have pitched a lager yeast to one half and have made some really surprising and tastey lagers.

Most recently I made a Simcoe/Columbus IPA (~1.070/~65 IBU) batch. Pitched S-23 and lagered at 54*F. The resultant beer is heavenly.

How did you get that to work for you, I have tried S-23 five times(and I will never use it again). No matter what temp I use it gets this nasty fruity flavor.

I just started using S-189 and it seems really promising

Back