Is thre any point to not buying Light DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbens6

Reaction score
So the more and more i read it seems like if i am gonna partial mash, or even extract with steeping grains im prolly gonna use 100% light LME/DME can anyone give me a reason to use anything else?!?!

it is great because it has light color...~3SRC for light.
Buy it in bulk from Mid Country Malt if you have the budget... it'll end up around 2.49/# for LDME.

I use it quiet often in partial mash and all grain to adjust my bad efficiency.

Color and/or flavor. I've found a couple of nice English malt extracts, made from MO. I've used Breiss Amber DME in a few brews as the only fermentable, nice color and flavor with ease of time for a short brew day. I guess it's just opinion.

So the more and more i read it seems like if i am gonna partial mash, or even extract with steeping grains im prolly gonna use 100% light LME/DME can anyone give me a reason to use anything else?!?!

You can easily use all light LME/DME and adjust the color and flavor with steeping grains or a small partial mash.

Light is probably straight 2-Row, while Pale is from Pale malt. Only a slight difference in color and flavor, but there is a difference. It vary's from maltster to maltster.

Don't quote me, but I think I've heard someone on here say that light and extra light DME have a portion of Pilsner malt.

Don't quote me, but I think I've heard someone on here say that light and extra light DME have a portion of Pilsner malt.
oops my bad, sorry dude...

So it seems like there is little risk, i am not saying i will only ever use light DME/LME but if i am unsure it seems the safest bet....

Use Light DME, you don't know what grains (or other colorants) are in the Dark DME.

I just ordered a bag of DME from North Country, and it says 'plisner' on the order form.

B

I like to add a pound of amber dme to my amber lagers and ales, though I am looking for a grain alternative that gives the same results.

I use dark dme in high gravity beers, like my Weisenbock.

Extra light is still what I use the most now, though. I don't use much DME, but extra light tends to be used the most.

It is common practice for many extract manufacturers to use a portion of rice or corn in their extra-light DME to increase the fermentability and decrease the color. Likewise, darker malt extracts can be made either with more highly kilned malts or though the use or specialty grains/adjuncts used for color adjustment. I would stick to something that either states it is made with 100% barley malt, or use a product that has a flavor profile that you like. For instance, I will use 1 lbs of Laaglander to increase body, or 1 lbs of Munton's extra pale or dextrose to dilute out high nitrogen worts.

I got offered a 50lb bag of pilsner DME for $119, i will not only brew pilsners and plan to exclusively partial mash, is this a bland/basic enough extract to scoop up and use in just about anything (obviously there will be exceptions) but can i use it in vienna, brown ale, IPA without worry?

You should be fine using Pilsner DME in a broad variety of recipes. The only exception might be if you try to brew ales with 100% Pilsner DME, they will taste a bit odd.

I stopped using extract due to price. But then everything is expensive when there is a monopoly. When I find a good price on-line, shipping kills the deal because . . . "this place is a geographic oddity, 1 week from everywhere"

Back