Using Gelatin - Add to Room Temp or Chilled Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Well, I have tried both ways.....Adding to room temp kegs and chilled kegs of my beer (not yet carbed).

I normally do not fine by beer, unless I will be transporting it to a party.

I just want to say, adding it the warm gelatin mixture to my chilled kegs of beer worked fantastic and the room temp kegs, ahhhh not so much.

Anyone else have this experience?

i know you guys keg but, wondering if it would work for bottling? I was thinking about adding it 2-3days before i bottle

I added it to a partially carbed, cold Irish Red that I wanted to be ready for St. Pats.

It is remarkably clear after a week.

Bull

I actually added a tbs of Knox to your haus pale ale just last week in a 60 degree carboy. Crystal clear after three days, I'm not sure it can get any clearer.

I add gelatin in the carboy I ferment in, give it a little shake, then crash for 3 days at about 35F... comes out very clear.

Just did two kegs myself.

In metric I heat up 100ml of water to the boil, turn it off, wait till it drops to 75 degrees Celsius, add a teaspoon of gelatin, stir in and then simply pour it into the top of the keg. A few days later its clear and a week later its crystal :mug:

I've only added it to carb'd cold beer and couldn't be happier. I forgot the irish moss during the boil and had to hoof it to help clear it up.

The gelatin should be warm and the beer should be cold. Chilling the beer will create some of the haze fractions that the gelatin will then help precipitate. If the beer is warm and the haze isn't there the gelatin can't remove it.

Yes, I've had my best results chilling the beer to 32 for 2 days and then adding the gelatin. The theory being that cold makes chill haze form and then the gelatin pulls it out.

Latest posts

Back