Green Flash Soul Style IPA - Can it be cloned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like these too! Although one of my friends said it tasted like pennies to him... weirdo.

Subbed!

How is it that I haven't had this yet? I must be overlooking it on the shelf as we get all their other stuff up here.
So citra, simcoe, and cascade but no hints on grainbill from the website. How do you guys think that part compares to the west coast IPA?

I don't have a complex enough palate to answer that well. I'd say it's close, if not a bit lighter - but again, I am not the one to trust on that.

The hops character tastes brighter and fruitier to me than the west coast ipa.

Green Flash is like my favorite brewery... their Trippel is awesome, and their Road Warrior Rye IPA is "da bomb"! I will be watching this thread for sure...

Well, unfortunately nothing to report on the Green Flash email front. But I procured six packs of soul style and west coast ipa for comparison. As far as the malt character, I can say that the west coast is maltier with a sweeter finish, whereas the soul style is less malty and has more of a dry finish. I'm trying to figure out how to base a grain bill on the west coast recipe, taking some grains out to match the color of the soul style and reduce the sweetness, but at this point I just brew clone recipes, so I don't really know where to start. Any ideas?

Here is a side by side pic of my comparison test to show the color difference (complete with Christmas decorations):

Idk its very light id say alot of 2row with a little munich maby ibreally like this beer so im gonna try soon im gonna do 11# 2row 1# munich 1# sugar to dry it out do we have any idea on hop schedule

I emailed and the below is what i got. Looks like we're just going to have to experiment for now

thanks for your question and for being a fan of our Soul Style IPA! At this time, our brewers are not making a homebrewing clone recipe available for the public – it’s a relatively new beer for us and we also just released our brand-new 2016 Tangerine Soul Style as well (http://www.greenflashbrew.com/our-beers/tangerine-soul-style/).

I emailed and the below is what i got. Looks like we're just going to have to experiment for now

thanks for your question and for being a fan of our Soul Style IPA! At this time, our brewers are not making a homebrewing clone recipe available for the public – it’s a relatively new beer for us and we also just released our brand-new 2016 Tangerine Soul Style as well (http://www.greenflashbrew.com/our-beers/tangerine-soul-style/).

Anyone have an idea on what the House strain is for Green Flash ? I know they are doing belgian`s and whatnot, but i`m referring to what they use in Soul Style ? I looked up the Tangerine Soul style and actually found the tangerine puree they use post fermentation in it. Very expensive stuff & $ 70 to ship it as well because it`s a frozen product . They also make the Passionfruit puree that Green Flash uses for their Kicker

Back