Imperial ISA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdrduck

Reaction score
This is what I love about homebrewing! My three favorite beer types are Stouts, Porters and IPAs soooo... how about an Imperial India Stout Ale? I'm going for a high octane Stout with tons of hoppiness, both aroma and bittering. I think I may be the first one on my block with this one. Doing the yeast starter today. Did a rough draft of the ingredient list and should be SG of about 1.070. Hold on to your a$$ this is going to be quite a ride. Any input on how to hop this would be welcome. I have Warrior, Cascade, Vanguard and a ton of my homegrown unknown variety to choose from. As per a suggestion from another thread I am going to make a "hop tea" with the homegrown to determine aroma and bittering qualities. At least that will give me some idea of what to do with them. This is fun.

Wouldn't this just be a Russian Imperial Stout?

No; It's too weak for an RIS.

BJCP guidelines (13 F):

OG: 1.075 - 1.115
IBUs: 50 - 90

An intensely flavored, big, dark ale. Roasty, fruity, and bittersweet, with a noticeable alcohol presence. Dark fruit flavors meld with roasty, burnt, or almost tar-like sensations. Like a black barleywine with every dimension of flavor coming into play.

Ya know, I guess it would be. RIS is a really broad style from no hops to tons of hops so it would include any high alcohol Stout.

I think more along the lines of a cascadian dark IPA but with the body of a stout or porter. I wouldn't call a black hop bomb at 1.070 an RIS. Sounds good, but I'd plan for a little less bittering hops since the roast malts will give a little bit of their own.

I like the term "Black Hop Bomb", I think that's what I'll call it if you don't mind seabass. I may add some light brown sugar into the mix a few days into primary so should end up a little above 1.070. I think I'll keep some records on this one, hope it lives up to expectations. BHB, I like it.

Latest posts

Back